Say Hello & Wave Goodbye- 2011
Last year one of my favorite bloggers compiled a photo-heavy recap of her year. It was a good idea, I thought, but 21 blog posts didn’t give me very much fuel for a year-end review. I decided I’d write more in 2011 (among other resolutions). I wanted to share more of my life, 500 miles away from friends and family, and wanted 2011’s recap to be easier than 2010’s.
This year I blogged almost four times more than I did last year; but that’s not the only difference a year’s made. I’ve experienced more, (certainly I've been running more), traveled more, worked toward exciting goals and developed a clearer idea of what I stand for. I’m not sure what 2012 will bring, but I have some ideas about where I want to be come 2013. Here’s a brief salute to the past, so I can move swiftly forward.
I introduced B to the world, err, my blog readers. We rang in the New Year with a ginormous glowing Peep. My little town has lots of odd quirks, but celebrating locally created marshmallow Easter treats is definitely one of the stranger ones. I kicked off my 5K a month project with a snowy run.
I packed my apartment up and relocated to a new place down the street. Moving is annoying—that I remember with clarity. (Speaking of clarity) some Michigan pals came out to visit me and we packed ourselves into a rather intimate venue to see one of my favorite bands play. At work I was challenged to try living plastic-free, so I did. At my monthly 5K a 6-year-old challenged me to race, so I did that too.
What a wacky and well-traveled month. I flew to California (and met Fabio) and cruised around the East coast with my brother. Highlight? My birthday. I bought fancy new cooking tools. Lowlight? A 75-year-old man beat me in a 5K. He was wobbly, too.
April was a month of newness—I tended to my first garden, tried making cake pops, mustered up enough courage to explore the basement, ate ostrich and made my own laundry detergent. I’m proud to say I’ve adopted all of these new habits into my life. Well, with the exception of the basement exploring.
I watched (twice) my co-worker and all-round good buddy Kate kick butt as Sally Bowles in Cabaret. I coached a Girls On The Run team and ran a speedy 5K. B and I embarked on our first road trip home together. We got caught in a near-tornado, visited Niagara Falls and taste tested Canadian delicacies.
My family surprised me with the most wanted item of my childhood. I went floating on the Shenendoah River with Louise. And sweat. A lot.
July was a month of travel. My family drove in and we toured the East Coast, per our insane Independence Day tradition and the soon after that B and I packed our passports for a lovely long weekend in Montreal. I helped launch some exciting projects at work and ran the hottest, most sweltering 5K ever.
I moved up in the world, starting a new job with Runner’s World. I spent a weekend with B and his family in Ocean City and a night in Baltimore at a Death Cab for Cutie concert with an old college friend. Oh, and I survived an earthquake and a hurricane.
Yeah, that happened.
I ran the farthest I’d ever ran before and made a drastic running decision. I made new pals and found a new favorite band and wrote a story that almost made me cry. B and I road tripped again, on a secret mission to surprise my family, and ran the chilliest race ever.
I tried to increase my productivity, tried not to pee my pants out of fear and tried to rid my skin of orange powder.
I spent a lovely weekend in Arlington with Louise, celebrated a fantastic year of dating with B and spent a long week in Michigan with my family. I ran a Thanksgiving 10K and ever day since (including a glow-stick-lit 5K under Christmas lights).
I ran. A lot. I happily brought my 5K a month project full circle. I explored my town through the eyes of a holiday tourist, and traveled home once again.
This year I blogged almost four times more than I did last year; but that’s not the only difference a year’s made. I’ve experienced more, (certainly I've been running more), traveled more, worked toward exciting goals and developed a clearer idea of what I stand for. I’m not sure what 2012 will bring, but I have some ideas about where I want to be come 2013. Here’s a brief salute to the past, so I can move swiftly forward.
Year’s end is neither an end nor a beginning but a going on, with all the wisdom that experience can instill in us. - Hal Borland
I introduced B to the world, err, my blog readers. We rang in the New Year with a ginormous glowing Peep. My little town has lots of odd quirks, but celebrating locally created marshmallow Easter treats is definitely one of the stranger ones. I kicked off my 5K a month project with a snowy run.
I packed my apartment up and relocated to a new place down the street. Moving is annoying—that I remember with clarity. (Speaking of clarity) some Michigan pals came out to visit me and we packed ourselves into a rather intimate venue to see one of my favorite bands play. At work I was challenged to try living plastic-free, so I did. At my monthly 5K a 6-year-old challenged me to race, so I did that too.
What a wacky and well-traveled month. I flew to California (and met Fabio) and cruised around the East coast with my brother. Highlight? My birthday. I bought fancy new cooking tools. Lowlight? A 75-year-old man beat me in a 5K. He was wobbly, too.
April was a month of newness—I tended to my first garden, tried making cake pops, mustered up enough courage to explore the basement, ate ostrich and made my own laundry detergent. I’m proud to say I’ve adopted all of these new habits into my life. Well, with the exception of the basement exploring.
I watched (twice) my co-worker and all-round good buddy Kate kick butt as Sally Bowles in Cabaret. I coached a Girls On The Run team and ran a speedy 5K. B and I embarked on our first road trip home together. We got caught in a near-tornado, visited Niagara Falls and taste tested Canadian delicacies.
My family surprised me with the most wanted item of my childhood. I went floating on the Shenendoah River with Louise. And sweat. A lot.
July was a month of travel. My family drove in and we toured the East Coast, per our insane Independence Day tradition and the soon after that B and I packed our passports for a lovely long weekend in Montreal. I helped launch some exciting projects at work and ran the hottest, most sweltering 5K ever.
I moved up in the world, starting a new job with Runner’s World. I spent a weekend with B and his family in Ocean City and a night in Baltimore at a Death Cab for Cutie concert with an old college friend. Oh, and I survived an earthquake and a hurricane.
Yeah, that happened.
I ran the farthest I’d ever ran before and made a drastic running decision. I made new pals and found a new favorite band and wrote a story that almost made me cry. B and I road tripped again, on a secret mission to surprise my family, and ran the chilliest race ever.
I tried to increase my productivity, tried not to pee my pants out of fear and tried to rid my skin of orange powder.
I spent a lovely weekend in Arlington with Louise, celebrated a fantastic year of dating with B and spent a long week in Michigan with my family. I ran a Thanksgiving 10K and ever day since (including a glow-stick-lit 5K under Christmas lights).
I ran. A lot. I happily brought my 5K a month project full circle. I explored my town through the eyes of a holiday tourist, and traveled home once again.













