5K Project - Part 3

I can’t believe this project is complete—my knees can, but my brain can’t fathom that it's actually done. I knew when I concocted the idea of running a 5K a month that it wasn’t a remarkably difficult challenge for me. A 5K is a pretty standard distance in my life as a runner. I was really looking to keep myself running throughout the year and thought more racing would help make that happen. Twelve 5Ks, two 10Ks, a 39-day run streak complete and a half-marathon on the horizon, I think I succeeded with that goal.

While this wasn’t tough for me, it was for B who jumped on the project without ever having raced or ran three miles before in his life. He surprised me last December when he jumped on the challenge and has impressed me every month at every race since. I’m way proud of him. Having him on board my originally solo goal made the traveling much easier, the races more fun and the entire experience all the more worthwhile.

So, what’s next? Twelve more 5Ks in 2012? Twelve 10Ks? Eh, doubtful. I succeeded in my goal to get myself running more regularly; three miles seems like less of a deal to me than it was last year. I still plan to keep a 5K race consistently on the horizon.



October
What’s a year-long project with its challenges, amIright? My August race was compromised by a hurricane, so it just made sense that October’s was canceled on account of a freak fall snowstorm. The cancelation memo didn’t make it to all participants so I still powdered myself orange and donned my Snooki wig for the Halloween-themed 5K. Sigh. Thankfully the race was rescheduled for the following weekend, and I was even more thankful that participants were still in the Halloween spirit so I didn’t stick out like a sore thumb again. I ran the entire race with my wig and sunglasses in on, though the same can’t be said for B’s inflatable Buzz Lightyear wings…

November
Night race? Christmas lights? Hot chocolate? Glow-sticks? Yes, please! This race was a blast. We ran through a local trail that is decorated to the max with animated holiday lights every year. Somewhere around the glowing reindeer hopping over the road I forgot I was running; I was just entranced by the red, blue and green glow.

December
The night before our last race, B and I both had separate holiday parties to attend. Waking up to eat an early breakfast and drive for an hour and a half was a little rough. We arrived in a little Jersey town outside of Philly to find a small, but eager crowd. The course was simple and flat, winding through a local neighborhood. The winter heat wave made for excellent race weather. We were tired and it was tough, but with the memories of 11 prior 5Ks on my mind, this one was a breeze. And just like that, we crossed the finish line and wrapped up an entire year of racing.

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025