Trotting to the Midwest
Going home is always so delightful, and my recent Thanksgiving vacation was no exception. I packed way too much considering I pretty much only wore my pajamas. Ahhh, vacation.
When I wasn't in pjs, I was in running gear. The Runner's World Holiday Run Streak started on Thanksgiving Day, just in time for the 2011 Detroit Turkey Trot. This was the fourth year I've ran the Turkey Trot with my family, and still the biggest event yet with 21,000 trotters. I ran the 10K next to my dad, who was on a mission (that I might have assigned him) to break an hour. He rocked that race like it was no one's business; even though we had to knock several small children over at the start of the race to make it through the thick crowd. Sorry children of Detroit.
![]() |
| Boom. |
![]() |
| Family success |
My brother and I embarked on the run streak together by painfully running a mile the day after our 10K, and again after a butt kicking spin class with my crazy-fit parents, and again in the freezing rain through the neighborhood. And then we ate. And ate. And ate. We had Thanksgiving dinner, twice. Cranberry cheesecake bites (omg), peppermint brownies, chocolate cherry cookies and my great great grandma's apple pie. We were full, sore and happy.
When everyone left for work and school, B and I took off for a few days in Grand Rapids. We caught a Griffins game and explored downtown. Then I got to catch up with my old Steelcase coworker, Lori and GR super-pal, Kendal over ridiculously tasty food. As always, in the blink of an eye, I was in the car again packed up for the long haul back to Pennsylvania.
How many days 'til I trek home again for Christmas?


