Grad Advice & Things That Are as Tall as Me Pt. 1

Life is a flurry of activity around the house as we prepare for Man of E's grad festivities this weekend. I've been helping out as much as possible by printing a kajillion invites and thank you notes, serving as a vital member of the Plastic Dinnerware Board and running errands that occasionally end in the purchase of a gift to myself for all of my troubles (hello new Red Wings t-shirt).

On the subject of graduation, you MUST watch this speech given by Ellen DeGeneres at Tulane University. Ellie, whose father is now famous for reason I won't mention here, sent me this awhile ago and no matter how many times I watch, it never gets old.




In unrelated news, a special envelope came in the mail today. This is me and my Greyhound ticket, which is clearly almost as big as me. I know that's not saying a ton, but still. That's a very long ticket for two very long rides. I guess for a total of 26.5 hours of traveling, it needs to be.

The closer it gets to departure time, the more I'm asked a trillion of the same questions. "Are you ready" has been the toughest to answer because after a month of waking up at noon and eating cupcakes for breakfast, it's difficult to feel ready for anything different. I've been waiting for the moment for it all to sink in, assuming it would be somewhere around hour six of my drive, but instead all it took was a four foot strip of paper in the mail.

I can and can't believe I'm going all at the same time. This adventure ranks right up there with the time I ride my tricycle down the basement stairs and climbing the built in book shelf in my bedroom to reach my Sesame Street stuffed animals as a child. A summer in Pennsylvania is less likely to result in broken bones or my parents aren't yelling at me for it.

It's interesting to notice the spontaneous, adventurous, excited and independent qualities that have surfaced during numerous events from my childhood (example: the poptart + microwave = fire incident of 95') are still ever so present.

I suppose to conclude to my previous conclusion and to bring this post oddly full circle, I'll end with some graduation advice to my fantastic, handsome and all around not-nearly-as-monstrous-of-a-creature-as-I-consistently-tell-my-friends-he-is brother:

First, be accepting of yourself. Not so much that you accept not doing laundry for an entire semester, but more so embrace areas in which you're slightly crazy and run with it. Second, be true to it. It's easy to let fear and uncertainty weigh you down, but do what you want to do and what you think is right; and if it turns out you were wrong then just tell the police officer through your tears that you really didn't know you couldn't do that.

Congrats E!

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025