This Mother’s Day

The best part of my Mother’s Day was Monday night.

While Ben was putting A to bed I encouraged C: “Let’s go to your room and read”. I gathered my novel and told him to pick out a book on his own to read on the little couch next to me.

I’ll have to re-read the pages in my book I flipped through because while he was doing such a great job reading on his own, I couldn’t help but listen as he perfectly recited “Pete The Cat Old MacDonald Had A Farm” out loud from memory.

After he finished he proclaimed, “you stay here, I’ll go clean up the playroom”. I did as directed, listening to the sound of the wood train track pieces clunk into their storage box.

He wandered back in to bring me my water bottle, and returned to clean.

He came back in to give me a random hug, and returned to clean.

He visited again to randomly tell me he loved me, and returned to clean.

He took care of me without knowing or needing a special day telling him to do so.

“He’s just like his mama,” Ben said later, “he takes good care of the people he loves.”

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025