Summer 2020 Home Projects

Oooh wee things are happening around here!

If you asked me in early April what our upcoming house projects were I’d tell you absolutely nothing. But when we did a little Spring analysis around the yard, well, some projects popped up.

Namely, the deck.

The orange paint on it was chipping wildly, exposing raw wood and making it dangerous for our little boys to be on.

That maintenance factor alone made me want to completely blow it up but instead, with the generous help of our hard working dads, we’re re-finishing it to last for a long time.

Photo from the listing of our house, some paint chipping is already obvious

Over Memorial Day weekend B and my dad sanded almost all the paint off the deck floor. It’s about 3-4 hours away from being ready to be stained. My father-in-law has been hard at work priming and painting the railings and pergola white.

Current image of the stripped deck and paint starting to go up on the pergola

We have some other big plans for this space with a new outdoor dining set, lounge area, sun shade and I just can’t wait to see how this all comes together.

My mom also worked like a mad woman cleaning up the flower beds around the house. They need a new layer of mulch still, but man does a clean edge with weed-free beds and trimmed bushes look beautiful.

And then there’s the front porch. The painted concrete steps had been chipping too. Like an outgrown manicure I’d been picking at little gaps since last Spring. This weekend I got some big chips of paint off, and while it looks 10 times worse at the moment, I think we’re headed toward success.



Or headed to a disaster where I’ll need to completely repaint the whole thing. Time will tell.

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025