Greatest Hits 1998-2008

My musical life just went through a major overhaul—an extreme iTunes library makeover, if you will. I recently ponied up for a new computer anticipating the death of my PC from college, and vowed not to overload the new one with a craptonbyte worth of files I don’t use and don’t like.

So I carefully transferred over a fraction of my library, leaving behind such delights as my System of a Down albums (what was I thinking?) and a moderately sized ABBA collection (just no). The whole process made me nostalgic and brought up vivid memories—like the fight I got into with Katy in middle school over Beck’s “I’m a Loser” lyrics. We never spoke again because my sixth grade stubbornness prevented me from accepting he sang something other than “soooo, open the door”.

Then I got to thinking…big-name musicians get to put together compilation albums, why can’t I? For the sake of memories and giggles, here’s the Greatest Hits of Dana’s Adolescent Life (subtitled: Questionable Tunes From The Questionable Years Of 1998-2008).

1. “When the Lights Go Out” by Five
The British boy-band Five brought fewer of my peers to tears—a phenom I never understood anyway. Plus, this song just sounded good. At the time.

2. “God of Wine by Third Eye Blind
I listened to this CD in the mornings before 7th grade until it almost disintegrated in my Discman. Decent taste, younger self.

3. “Paper Heart” by All-American Rejects
I was late—and not actually invited—to this party. A girl on my high school swim team found this song and tried to prevent it from going mainstream. Somehow I heard it (and shared it) anyway.

4. "Pin Your Wings" Copeland
For one summer in high school I spent every day with a group of friends and extended friends. I can almost see myself sitting on that one kid’s dad’s docked boat well past sundown when I hear this song.

5. “Triple Trouble” by The Beastie Boys
This was the theme song for me and two of my high school ‘besties’, Tori and Ellie. We may or may not have split up the lyrics into solo rap portions. I may or may not have been MCA (RIP :( ).

6. “Calm Like a Bomb” by Rage Against the Machine
I got pumped up to this song no less than 12 times before swimming the 100 Free at YMCA Nationals in Ft. Lauderdale. I was(/am) a 5’2” force to be reckoned with.

7. “Me Vs. Madonna Vs. Elvis” by Brand New
A group of guys I met in college rocked my world with the introduction to new angsty tunes. Welcome to my life, Brand New, Jack’s Mannequin and The Format.

8. “Talk Dirty to Me” by Poison
Never, ever turn down tickets to an 80’s hair-band reunion concert. A summer swim co-coach invited me to this show and my life—and people watching skills—were improved greatly.

9. “Maneater” by Nelly Furtado
I completed many journalism papers with this song blaring from my speakers: “…make you work hard, make you spend hard, make you want all, of her love.”

10. “Kiss” by Prince
This was on one of several “Lung Mixes” Louise and I created with beltable, lung-strengthening songs. Whitney was prevalent, but I loved belting out this song on the way out of campus.

Wow, that wasn't nearly as painful as I anticipated. What song(s) sum up your most special years?

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025