Chicken Burritos
Happy early Cinco de Mayo, mis amigos. Arriba! Thought I’d pop in with a semi-Mexican themed burrito recipe to spice up your afternoon.
As far as I’m concerned, there are two kinds of burritos in this world: the traditional Mexican version with simple, no fuss ingredients (beans, rice, cheese—the end) or revved up Americanized monsters with everything from mozzarella sticks to a small car radio swimming in a sea of hot lava nacho cheese wrapped up to go. Both are equally delicious.
I dig burritos for their portability, but would rather skip on the my-insides-are-rotting feeling afterward (I know you know what I mean). So, I cleaned my recipe up a bit; here’s my take on chicken burritos, with plenty of room to customize to your lava nacho cheese liking.
Chicken Burritos
4-8 tortillas
2 chicken breast
3/4 can of black beans
1 cup brown rice (cooked)
¼ cup sliced onion
1 packet taco seasonings (or DIY)
shredded cheddar cheese
sour cream
1. Poach chicken until done. (Don’t know what poaching is? I didn’t either until a few months ago. Fill a pan with about two inches of water, place raw chicken in the water, cover and simmer until cooked through—about 7-10 minutes.)
2. Remove chicken from water, let cool and pull apart/shred with two forks.
3. Sautee onions in a clean pan until cooked through. Add chicken, rice and beans. Follow directions on the back of taco seasoning packet (add water and seasonings). Cook until combined.
4. Warm a tortilla over the stove or in the microwave for a few seconds until soft. Fill with chicken mixture, top with cheese and a little sour cream. Tuck in the ends and roll up into a tight burrito.
I usually make a bunch, wrap ‘em in foil and enjoy throughout the week. Due to the lack of greenery happening here, a quick salad on the side would make this meal muy bueno. Enjoy.
As far as I’m concerned, there are two kinds of burritos in this world: the traditional Mexican version with simple, no fuss ingredients (beans, rice, cheese—the end) or revved up Americanized monsters with everything from mozzarella sticks to a small car radio swimming in a sea of hot lava nacho cheese wrapped up to go. Both are equally delicious.
I dig burritos for their portability, but would rather skip on the my-insides-are-rotting feeling afterward (I know you know what I mean). So, I cleaned my recipe up a bit; here’s my take on chicken burritos, with plenty of room to customize to your lava nacho cheese liking.
Chicken Burritos
4-8 tortillas
2 chicken breast
3/4 can of black beans
1 cup brown rice (cooked)
¼ cup sliced onion
1 packet taco seasonings (or DIY)
shredded cheddar cheese
sour cream
1. Poach chicken until done. (Don’t know what poaching is? I didn’t either until a few months ago. Fill a pan with about two inches of water, place raw chicken in the water, cover and simmer until cooked through—about 7-10 minutes.)
2. Remove chicken from water, let cool and pull apart/shred with two forks.
3. Sautee onions in a clean pan until cooked through. Add chicken, rice and beans. Follow directions on the back of taco seasoning packet (add water and seasonings). Cook until combined.
4. Warm a tortilla over the stove or in the microwave for a few seconds until soft. Fill with chicken mixture, top with cheese and a little sour cream. Tuck in the ends and roll up into a tight burrito.
I usually make a bunch, wrap ‘em in foil and enjoy throughout the week. Due to the lack of greenery happening here, a quick salad on the side would make this meal muy bueno. Enjoy.