Something Old, Something New

This month I closed a big career chapter and started a new one. After eight years at Steelcase, I’m switching gears to work at Bissell.

First, can I get a standing ovation for Steelcase? Those were eight really great and professionally impactful years.

When I joined full time in 2013 I had a hunch there was more to our web experiences than what vendors, limited analytic data and our gut feel were telling us. I was the first to employ user feedback (surveys, mining customer service themes and running user testing interviews) to insightfully point us in a direction that matched user’s expectations.

User testing specifically became a fast passion of mine. With Steelcase’s support, I got certified in user testing through an outside industry expert (Nielsen Norman Group). I brought back a robust tool box of methods for listening intently to our users. I sharpened my ability to make recommendations internally to meet our business goals and better our experiences.

I worked under a manager who busted open the lid on my container of user experience knowledge. I learned how to build and test prototypes, run heuristic evaluations, create compelling competitive benchmark decks, employ design thinking across multiple systems/experiences, built journey maps and personas and so much more.

If I can toot my own horn for a second, I’m still wildly impressed all those big sounding efforts are ones I can navigate myself, support teams and stakeholders around efficiently and effectively.

Most of all at Steelcase I learned I can answer any question the organization has with confidence-backed research, and firmly yet politely share a clear, data-driven path toward improvements.

Also after eight years, ups and downs and so much growth I know with certainty I’m ready to step up to the next big thing.

So onward to Bissell, where I’ll be a manager of content strategy and service design–heavily focused on taking cues from consumer’s post-purchase experience to better the shopping experience as a whole.

I can’t wait to learn and share more about this next chapter.

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025