Toddler Meals
Right now--DISCLAIMER! DISCLAIMER! KNOCK ON WOOD! CROSS YOUR FINGERS! LAUGH BECAUSE THIS RIGHT NOW MOMENT IS PROBABLY ALREADY OVER AS I TYPE THIS SENTENCE--my toddler is eating like a champ.
Before this moment completely passes (because if I’ve learned anything as a parent in 18 months it’s that you only know each moment and then you know NOTHING) here’s what’s worked well in front of our royal highness:
Red Bean Quinoa Chili
Pizza Beans
One-pan Farro with Tomatoes
Crockpot Turkey Meatballs
Deconstructed Lasagna
Green Smoothies
Cucumber, spinach, banana, apple, coconut water whirled around in a blender. Serve either in a bowl with a spoon and fourteen adults supervising or in a cup with a lid and a thick straw. I’ve mixed up other concoctions that have also gone over well but this one is fairly consistently a winner because it’s not a strange brown color like some health smoothies can be.
Kodiak cakes
Pancakes with extra protein and syrup for dipping fingers, I mean pancake strips, in.
Anything in sauce
Honestly, BBQ sauce, pesto, tomato sauce. He’ll knock out rotisserie chicken, Crockpot brisket and some veggies as long as they’re rolled around in a sauce and have EXTRA sauce for finger dipping.
Obvious winners for honorable mention
Pizza. I make mine from home in a cast iron pan always starting with Pillsbury thin crust dough to make life easier. Pasta. Quesadillas with diced up veggies inside. Chicken sausage and veggie skillet.
Family snack plate
Small chunks of cheese, turkey pepperoni, a pile of hummus with carrot sticks, crackers. I put out a snack plate for the three of us to munch on over the weekend and upon watching the adults venture across the board so did C.
It’s taken a lot of trial, error and a LOT of wasted food but we’ve got him into a better pattern of understanding what we eat for dinner is what he eats, and that’s that.
For now. 0:-)
Before this moment completely passes (because if I’ve learned anything as a parent in 18 months it’s that you only know each moment and then you know NOTHING) here’s what’s worked well in front of our royal highness:
Red Bean Quinoa Chili
Pizza Beans
One-pan Farro with Tomatoes
Crockpot Turkey Meatballs
Deconstructed Lasagna
Green Smoothies
Cucumber, spinach, banana, apple, coconut water whirled around in a blender. Serve either in a bowl with a spoon and fourteen adults supervising or in a cup with a lid and a thick straw. I’ve mixed up other concoctions that have also gone over well but this one is fairly consistently a winner because it’s not a strange brown color like some health smoothies can be.
Kodiak cakes
Pancakes with extra protein and syrup for dipping fingers, I mean pancake strips, in.
Anything in sauce
Honestly, BBQ sauce, pesto, tomato sauce. He’ll knock out rotisserie chicken, Crockpot brisket and some veggies as long as they’re rolled around in a sauce and have EXTRA sauce for finger dipping.
Obvious winners for honorable mention
Pizza. I make mine from home in a cast iron pan always starting with Pillsbury thin crust dough to make life easier. Pasta. Quesadillas with diced up veggies inside. Chicken sausage and veggie skillet.
Family snack plate
Small chunks of cheese, turkey pepperoni, a pile of hummus with carrot sticks, crackers. I put out a snack plate for the three of us to munch on over the weekend and upon watching the adults venture across the board so did C.
It’s taken a lot of trial, error and a LOT of wasted food but we’ve got him into a better pattern of understanding what we eat for dinner is what he eats, and that’s that.
For now. 0:-)