Grand Rapids Drive Review
Ben Wallace, the Pistons basketball player, was in our office last year. I saw him! But I kept my cool and spied from a distance, suppressing my urge to tell him even though I have a Rasheed Wallace jersey, I liked him too.
I don’t know why he was in our office, but I know he was in town to open a Pistons affiliate team locally--the Grand Rapids Drive. They’ve been playing basketball at the DeltaPlex for a few months now. We hopped over for a game this past Saturday as a something new to do on date night.
The DeltaPlex as a venue is just a bummer. It’s removed from the fun of downtown in a tired industrial park area. The building is old, for a venue it’s quite small, and there’s just not much to love about it.
But the game was fun! The smaller venue size meant our standard tickets provided really good seats. There was a huge attempt at keeping the crowd hyped--mascots, a dance squad, a halftime show (a high school cheer-leading team), t-shirts being thrown into the crowd, fan games on court during breaks, lots of music and up-beat announcing thanks to local celeb Eric Zane.
There might have been honestly a bit too much hype? Sometimes loud music was playing during the game and that was a bit odd. The Drive as a team were actually fun to watch--there’s some really good basketball happening there.
We got a funnel cake from one of the three food vendors (not a TON of options) which I was also pretty thrilled about.
I can’t say I’m dying to go back to another game, but if we were looking for a double date activity, or something new to take C to in a few years, this might be a good fit.
I don’t know why he was in our office, but I know he was in town to open a Pistons affiliate team locally--the Grand Rapids Drive. They’ve been playing basketball at the DeltaPlex for a few months now. We hopped over for a game this past Saturday as a something new to do on date night.
The DeltaPlex as a venue is just a bummer. It’s removed from the fun of downtown in a tired industrial park area. The building is old, for a venue it’s quite small, and there’s just not much to love about it.
But the game was fun! The smaller venue size meant our standard tickets provided really good seats. There was a huge attempt at keeping the crowd hyped--mascots, a dance squad, a halftime show (a high school cheer-leading team), t-shirts being thrown into the crowd, fan games on court during breaks, lots of music and up-beat announcing thanks to local celeb Eric Zane.
There might have been honestly a bit too much hype? Sometimes loud music was playing during the game and that was a bit odd. The Drive as a team were actually fun to watch--there’s some really good basketball happening there.
We got a funnel cake from one of the three food vendors (not a TON of options) which I was also pretty thrilled about.
I can’t say I’m dying to go back to another game, but if we were looking for a double date activity, or something new to take C to in a few years, this might be a good fit.