Murphy Bed Project--Completion!
Check it out, our basement murphy bed is done!
Isn’t she looooove-llyyyyyy. Isn’t she wonnnnn-der-ful.
Isn’t she preeeee-ciousssss. Less than one minnnnn-ute old.
I’m--can you tell?--happy with how this turned out. As I hoped and predicted, it tucks neatly away under the bulkhead. And painting it the wall color helps it to blend in as I wanted it to.
Today our handyman came back to the house and spent half the day installing. He did an amazing job--getting it fit perfectly into the wall, cutting around to snugly fit the baseboard, doing some on the fly troubleshooting.
The mechanism makes opening and closing it super easy. When it’s open it feels nice and spacious and comfortable.
We certainly debated over this project. It was a big expense and took a lot of time, planning and effort. But in its completed state, we’re thrilled. It’s exactly what we were looking for to give the right amount of guest space to our house.
Now some details… you may notice there are none. It’s a detail-less box. We need to do some thinking about what we might want to do to trim or adorn this.
For starters the small space between the bed and the edge of the bulkhead will likely house a little shelf with a lamp and plug access like a little nightstand would.
The empty slim horizontal gap between the bed frame and the ceiling will eventually be covered as a small cabinet of sorts we can store bedding in.
There are lots of screw and nail holes I need to putty and paint over. And we most certainly need some sort of handle to make pulling the bed down easier.
Beyond that, I don’t know yet. I’m not sure I want to do much more. At the very least I can wait and see.
Isn’t she looooove-llyyyyyy. Isn’t she wonnnnn-der-ful.
Isn’t she preeeee-ciousssss. Less than one minnnnn-ute old.
I’m--can you tell?--happy with how this turned out. As I hoped and predicted, it tucks neatly away under the bulkhead. And painting it the wall color helps it to blend in as I wanted it to.
Today our handyman came back to the house and spent half the day installing. He did an amazing job--getting it fit perfectly into the wall, cutting around to snugly fit the baseboard, doing some on the fly troubleshooting.
The mechanism makes opening and closing it super easy. When it’s open it feels nice and spacious and comfortable.
We certainly debated over this project. It was a big expense and took a lot of time, planning and effort. But in its completed state, we’re thrilled. It’s exactly what we were looking for to give the right amount of guest space to our house.
Now some details… you may notice there are none. It’s a detail-less box. We need to do some thinking about what we might want to do to trim or adorn this.
For starters the small space between the bed and the edge of the bulkhead will likely house a little shelf with a lamp and plug access like a little nightstand would.
The empty slim horizontal gap between the bed frame and the ceiling will eventually be covered as a small cabinet of sorts we can store bedding in.
There are lots of screw and nail holes I need to putty and paint over. And we most certainly need some sort of handle to make pulling the bed down easier.
Beyond that, I don’t know yet. I’m not sure I want to do much more. At the very least I can wait and see.