Murphy Bed: Closing In On The Build

Annnnd she’s painted.

For those following our basement murphy bed build project we last spoke when our handyman delivered the wood pieces to us for painting. (For those not tracking you can catch up on this riveting content here: part 1, 2 and 3.)


This was, honestly, if possible, less fun than it looks. Each piece needed two coats of paint with a light sanding in between. There are a lot of pieces. A lot of weird angles. And my back hurt from bending all around to paint these after days of toddler wrangling.

While I’m still at a 100 in terms of excitement about this project this doesn’t look any less like a boring pile of wood to me than I’m sure it looks to you.

I trust these pieces (based on the build plan I found and reviewed with our handyman) will all fit together into one successful, cozy spot for guests to sleep but… will they?

A word on the paint color--we went with a light gray that matches the basement walls. This isn’t exactly a piece of furniture I want to call out, so I figured matching it to the wall was the way to go.

It’s worth noting if I’m at a 100 level of excitement on this, I think our handyman is pushing 150 or 200. He’s pretty geeked out about the idea, how this will look, what we can do to “umph” it up with trim and what not. He grew attached to it, he said, when cutting all the pieces and the day after dropping them off in our garage was text inquiring about if we had started painting yet.

Gotta love a team excited about a project.

Next up is install! Eeeek!

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025