Goodbye, House
A few weeks ago we moved Cameron to sleep in his own room. Prior to that his room was mostly a “monument” to him—a space we mostly used to dream about the future with him.
His room, like all the rooms in our small house, are treasure troves of memories. Like our office we built desks for only to find the completed tables almost didn’t fit through the doorway. Or the dining room where I sat with sticky notes making our wedding seating chart. Or our living room where we watched the 2015 Super Bowl on inflatable air mattresses because we had just moved in and didn’t have a couch yet.
I can’t believe we’re already saying goodbye to our first home.
While we knew we wouldn’t be here forever, I didn’t think we’d be on to our forever home so fast. But we are. And it’s wonderful! How lucky/blessed/fortunate/all the very, very good things we are.
I mean, honestly, we’ve had a season of SO many good things. Healthy baby. Beautiful new house. Quickly sold current house. We’ve really cashed in all our good karma chips at once over here.
Next week we’ll box up life on Abigail Street and set up shop a few miles east. Cameron won’t remember this house at all, and after being here just shy of three years it’s likely the details will fade over time for us too.
I thought I’d be more upset about leaving, and I’m sure as we empty the house and drive away I will be, but there’s something about that new house that makes this one seem not so right anymore.
We’ve worked hard and loved hard here, but I’ve already had a few dreams about our future family and it all takes place there.
On to building the next trove of memories.
His room, like all the rooms in our small house, are treasure troves of memories. Like our office we built desks for only to find the completed tables almost didn’t fit through the doorway. Or the dining room where I sat with sticky notes making our wedding seating chart. Or our living room where we watched the 2015 Super Bowl on inflatable air mattresses because we had just moved in and didn’t have a couch yet.
I can’t believe we’re already saying goodbye to our first home.
While we knew we wouldn’t be here forever, I didn’t think we’d be on to our forever home so fast. But we are. And it’s wonderful! How lucky/blessed/fortunate/all the very, very good things we are.
I mean, honestly, we’ve had a season of SO many good things. Healthy baby. Beautiful new house. Quickly sold current house. We’ve really cashed in all our good karma chips at once over here.
Next week we’ll box up life on Abigail Street and set up shop a few miles east. Cameron won’t remember this house at all, and after being here just shy of three years it’s likely the details will fade over time for us too.
I thought I’d be more upset about leaving, and I’m sure as we empty the house and drive away I will be, but there’s something about that new house that makes this one seem not so right anymore.
We’ve worked hard and loved hard here, but I’ve already had a few dreams about our future family and it all takes place there.
On to building the next trove of memories.
| First family photo in the new house. Someone was too snoozy to wake up for it. :) |