Racing

It’s been a while since I’ve ran races regularly, and this year (or summer to be more specific), I’m jumping back in.

Through work I get a discounted entry fee for a few local 5Ks. Then I remembered two other events I’ve done and liked, plus a few I haven’t done but want to and all the sudden I need to stock up on racing gu and chafing jelly.

Sorry, TMI?

Here’s what I’m planning on so far:

Riverbank Run 5K, May 14
I ran this in 2013 and 2014 and both times I might have almost cried watching the professionals finish the 25K course. Ugh, running can be so beautiful. I haven’t signed up yet but I’ve got Ben interested to, so I better get us entered before that changes.

Zoo De Mack, May 21
This 50-mile bike ride is a family tradition at this point—only last year did Ben and I miss it due to wedding prep shenanigans. I hope we’re both back at it again this year and hope we’re graced with good weather for it, too.

Reed’s Lake Run 5K, June 4
Could there be a more convenient race? I could walk/run to the start line from our house. This is one of the races I have discounted entry for so it’s an easy one to opt in to.

Brian Diemer Family of Races 5K, June 11
This is another race I have discounted entry for, and normally I’d be all about that, but I need to make a decision about an event the day after that may impact running this one. Maybe I’ll run/walk it? Or maybe I’ll sleep through it, wake up and eat pancakes and just avoid it all together.

Grand Rapids Sprint Triathlon, June 12
I can swim, I can bike, I can run—but I’m afraid of open water swimming, I’m nervous about the transitions and what the heck should I do for training? None of these excuses are good reasons to not do the sprint tri, but they have made the idea of signing up a routine mental debate.

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025