Chicagachos

Oh my avocado tostadas. That’s exactly what I ordered at The Chicago Diner on my weekend trip to the Windy City and exactly what I thought while grossly shoveling tortilla boats of black bean, quinoa and avocado straight into mah belly.

The Chicago Diner's Avocado Tostadas
These were so good my friend Jill suffered food envy after trying a bite and buddy Elena declared that she’d be making these at home. Heck to the yes to making these at home.

Perhaps a normal person would have stored this recipe away for a while, but not I. It was less than a week after my original avocado tostada encounter and girlfrand needed another fix. My take is less tostada like and more nacho oriented. It’s easier to make and allows for much faster demolishing.

I dub thee deconstructed Chicago inspired nachos recipe—Chicagachos.

Chicagachos
Chicagachos
Makes 2-3 servings

Ingredients
Tortilla chips
½ can drained and rinsed black beans
½ cup cooked quinoa
¼ cup shredded lettuce
¼ cup chopped tomatoes
1 whole avocado
green salsa

Directions
1. In a small bowl, mash black beans until near smooth. Plop on a plate.
2. In a separate bowl, mash avocado until near smooth. Plop on a plate.
3. Plop quinoa, lettuce and tomato piles on the plate.
4. Dump salsa into a small cup.
5. Scoop via tortilla chips in the order of your liking.

Notes
The original meal came with a side of chimichurri sauce which was dynamite. I went with green salsa, well, because I couldn’t find (and didn’t want to make) chimichurri sauce. Quinoa can be a tough to scoop ‘condiment’ in this equation; I highly suggest going from beans to quinoa for optimal stick-ability. I threw a little sriracha at my diner tostadas. It was a wise choice.

Happy ugly feasting!

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025