Bok Choy Fried Rice
I’d been geeking out all last week over the start of my CSA pick-ups, then the farmers market lady handed me my basket. Kale, lettuce, scallions, Swiss chard and bok choy. *Record scratch* Bok choy?
Remember when you were taking your high school American Sign Language final and Mrs. Dees’ hands fluttered so fast you missed the question and, instead of asking her to repeat it, all you could think to do was respond with a thumbs up? No? Just me? Ok.
Why get clarification when you can get marked down on your exam or arrive home with no idea what to do with a mystery leafy ingredient?
CSA lesson #1: everything in your basket—however yummy, gross or confusing—is yours for the consuming. It’s not that I don’t like bok choy, I just had no idea what to do with it.And, if we’re being honest here, no certainty which one of the basket greens it was. Good thing Google did.
Since most recipes suggested to stir-fry it—and since I felt the toddler-esque need to slightly camouflage it to eat it—I figured it would work well in fried rice. And it did! And it was tasty! I’m thinking it might be a good addition for my next batch of panang curry or in a brothy Asian-style soup, though I'm certainly not apposed to eating bok choy fried rice for the rest of the month.
Bok Choy Fried Rice
Ingredients
3-4 bok choy stalks
2 cups of cooked brown rice
2 eggs
1/3 cup chopped onion (white or green)
1/3 cup chopped carrot
¼ teaspoon minced ginger
½ teaspoon minced garlic
a splash of soy sauce
a splash of sesame oil
crushed peanuts (optional)
Directions
1. Separate the bok choy leaves from the stem. Slice everything, keeping piles separate.
2. Heat a little oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and ginger. Add the bok choy stems and stir fry; this will take longer than the leaves to cook. Add sliced veggies of your choosing, based on cook time—bok choy leaves last.
3. Add the brown rice and stir to combine. Push everything to the outer edges of the pan, making a little nest in the middle. Crack the eggs in the ‘nest’ and scramble ‘em up good. Let them cook almost all the way through before combining everything.
4. Add some soy sauce, a little sesame oil, and heck some crushed red pepper if you’re feeling frisky. Serve with crushed peanuts on top.
Remember when you were taking your high school American Sign Language final and Mrs. Dees’ hands fluttered so fast you missed the question and, instead of asking her to repeat it, all you could think to do was respond with a thumbs up? No? Just me? Ok.
Why get clarification when you can get marked down on your exam or arrive home with no idea what to do with a mystery leafy ingredient?
CSA lesson #1: everything in your basket—however yummy, gross or confusing—is yours for the consuming. It’s not that I don’t like bok choy, I just had no idea what to do with it.
Since most recipes suggested to stir-fry it—and since I felt the toddler-esque need to slightly camouflage it to eat it—I figured it would work well in fried rice. And it did! And it was tasty! I’m thinking it might be a good addition for my next batch of panang curry or in a brothy Asian-style soup, though I'm certainly not apposed to eating bok choy fried rice for the rest of the month.
Bok Choy Fried Rice
Ingredients
3-4 bok choy stalks
2 cups of cooked brown rice
2 eggs
1/3 cup chopped onion (white or green)
1/3 cup chopped carrot
¼ teaspoon minced ginger
½ teaspoon minced garlic
a splash of soy sauce
a splash of sesame oil
crushed peanuts (optional)
Directions
1. Separate the bok choy leaves from the stem. Slice everything, keeping piles separate.
2. Heat a little oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and ginger. Add the bok choy stems and stir fry; this will take longer than the leaves to cook. Add sliced veggies of your choosing, based on cook time—bok choy leaves last.
3. Add the brown rice and stir to combine. Push everything to the outer edges of the pan, making a little nest in the middle. Crack the eggs in the ‘nest’ and scramble ‘em up good. Let them cook almost all the way through before combining everything.
4. Add some soy sauce, a little sesame oil, and heck some crushed red pepper if you’re feeling frisky. Serve with crushed peanuts on top.