The Great Deck Standoff

Like a weird, gray-haired lady, I’ve taken to the squirrels in my backyard. There’s Gymnast Squirrel who, despite his oh so round belly, is capable of landing every tree-to-deck leap; and more recently a new, thinner, timid bushy-tailed deck visitor.

Sometimes Gymnast Squirrel eats his slice of stale bread standing
straight up. I don't know why, but it thrills me to no end.
Last Sunday, Ben and I spent the day on operation buy a grill. Our deck is large and beautiful and we (well, not currently, but as of two weeks ago) have reason to believe we’ll have weather worthy of using it.

The grill's maiden voyage: honey soy sauce marinated chicken. So yum.
I can’t help but think that by putting the grill on the deck, we’ve officially engaged the squirrels in a standoff for deck domination. I hate to tell you four-legged friends, when it comes to the possibility of barbecued ribs, you’ll have to take your deck railing balance beam antics elsewhere.

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025