River Bank Run Fear

Unfortunately for me, the River Bank Run does an excellent job of marketing. Street lights are decked out with banners, lawn signs have popped up all over town and postcard ads are on every horizontal surface in West Michigan.

Even while trying to get the 25K off my mind during a runner non-friendly lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings with coworkers last week, I caught a postcard ad on the table. Because why wouldn’t B Dubs be a race sponsor? Duh.

The race is 10 days away and I’m scared. I’ve been struggling for a few weeks with knee pain, heel pain and fine maybe a little bit of intestinal pain from aforementioned B Dubs. And maybe from nachos, too. Running has been rough for me lately; I just don’t feel like my semi-speedy, lovin-runnin’ self.

This race is going to be like a 100 boneless wings challenge to a non-competitive eater. All I can do—I keep reminding myself—is pace myself, listen and respect cues from my body and enjoy the experience.

It’s only 15.5 miles, after all. Gulp.

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025