Whatever Goes Lightened Up Alfredo
Work has been bananas lately in a high stress, learning and doing new things, juggling 3,000 to-do tasks kinda way. Secretly, I couldn’t be happier; a little month in to my new gig, it feels good to feel so needed.
Today after a particular eight hours that felt more like 20, I needed comfort food in a bad way. Enter the quickest warm and cozy meal I know—my whatever goes lightened up Alfredo. I don’t know where the bones of this recipe came from; I’ve made it so many times I can cook it up from memory. It’s always a little different depending on what I have on hand, but always the coziness I need to chill out or warm up.
Dana’s Whatever Goes Lightened Up Alfredo
Ingredients
Short cut pasta
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 -2 cups milk (I use skim)
1 handful Parmesan or Italian mix cheese
Basil/Oregano/salt/pepper
Directions
1. Cook the pasta up ‘til al dente. Set aside.
2. Melt the butter over medium heat in a large sauce pan.
3. Once melted, add the flour and whisk constantly for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
4. Slowly add milk, whisking to combine.
5. Cook sauce over medium or medium/low heat whisking often until it bubbles and thickens, 5-8 minutes.
6. Once thickened, add handful of cheese and spices. Whisk until melted through.
7. Toss with pasta and serve.
Notes
I never make this recipe as bare boned as listed above, there’s always something in my fridge that will work as an add in. Tonight it was with peas and prosciutto. I added frozen peas straight to the thickened milk sauce for the last 3-4 minutes and broiled a few slices of prosciutto until they were crispy, tossing diced bits in at the end. Sometimes I’ll add wilted spinach, cooked onions, garlic, sundried tomatoes, grilled chicken or bacon—it’s delicious every time.
Today after a particular eight hours that felt more like 20, I needed comfort food in a bad way. Enter the quickest warm and cozy meal I know—my whatever goes lightened up Alfredo. I don’t know where the bones of this recipe came from; I’ve made it so many times I can cook it up from memory. It’s always a little different depending on what I have on hand, but always the coziness I need to chill out or warm up.
Dana’s Whatever Goes Lightened Up Alfredo
Ingredients
Short cut pasta
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 -2 cups milk (I use skim)
1 handful Parmesan or Italian mix cheese
Basil/Oregano/salt/pepper
Directions
1. Cook the pasta up ‘til al dente. Set aside.
2. Melt the butter over medium heat in a large sauce pan.
3. Once melted, add the flour and whisk constantly for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
4. Slowly add milk, whisking to combine.
5. Cook sauce over medium or medium/low heat whisking often until it bubbles and thickens, 5-8 minutes.
6. Once thickened, add handful of cheese and spices. Whisk until melted through.
7. Toss with pasta and serve.
Notes
I never make this recipe as bare boned as listed above, there’s always something in my fridge that will work as an add in. Tonight it was with peas and prosciutto. I added frozen peas straight to the thickened milk sauce for the last 3-4 minutes and broiled a few slices of prosciutto until they were crispy, tossing diced bits in at the end. Sometimes I’ll add wilted spinach, cooked onions, garlic, sundried tomatoes, grilled chicken or bacon—it’s delicious every time.
