Hostess With the Mostest Muffins

It’s a good thing B and I popped for a two bedroom place instead of one. The last two weekends our office has been converted into a cozy makeshift guest room for varying out-of-towners to crash.

I could never just snooze ‘til noon and leave hungry guests to their own breakfast devices. For starters, I don’t think I could sleep ‘til noon unless someone spiked my bedside water bottle with children’s Benadryl.

So this morning, well before any other sign of life in the apartment, I pulled out a bag of extra muffin batter from the fridge and got baking. If I were elsewhere than my cozy bed, I’d certainly love to wake up to warm muffins straight out of the oven—specifically Barefoot Contessa’s blueberry coffee cake muffins, please.

This recipe has been a hit of the last three brunches I’ve hosted. Blueberries are out of season, so I bake ‘em plain, with chocolate chips or doctor up the dough with cinnamon, nutmeg and diced apples. The recipe claims it makes 16, but I can always squeeze a few more out. It’s a little ingredient intensive, but definitely worth it.

Also, the dough freezes like a dream, so if random guests pop over you can pop these in and out of the oven as fast as Ina Garten does.

Hosting Brunch Muffins
Courtesy of Food Network/Ina Garten 

Ingredients
1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, at room temp
1 ½ cups sugar
3 eggs, at room temp
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
¼ cup milk
2 ½ cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
Chocolate chips, blueberries, apples, or whatever the heck you want.

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
3. Add eggs one at a time, then add vanilla, sour cream and milk.
4. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
5. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet slowly until just mixed.
6. Fold in your additions, and bake for 25-30 minutes.

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025