5 Ways I Stay Sane

“I know I feel more like myself when I run, even if it's only a few miles, or at least I feel like the self I like best.” – Bart Yasso
That’s one of my more recent favorite quotes—mostly because I found the way running fits in my life the way Bart describes and partly because I had the privilege to work with him for a while; but I like it beyond that, too.

I like to think that quote applies to everyone in some way; I like to think everyone has that thing (or things) that bring them back to their core. For B it’s an episode of Breaking Bad and triple checking his fantasy football league, but my self-care is different, and important to acknowledge and practice to keep me feeling whole. A small dose of these activities always seems to wipe off the film that can build up after too much routine.

Running
A few days without a trot and I start to feel gooey. My muscles get achy in an under-used kind of way and soon the restlessness seeps into my brain in the form of angsty lady thoughts. I can almost always right any woes by focusing on the rhythm of my foot fall.

Writing
Crafting was so vital to my being as a kid that without a melt and mold your own charm jewelry set (or something of the sort), I’d find my own creative outlet—like by setting fire to Poptarts or giving Barbies pixie cuts. I can still cause chaos with a glue gun, but most of the time I safely stick to blogging.

Reading
I’ve never been a big book worm, but there’s a direct correlation between a good book on my bedside table and a happier me. A good story stretches my mind in a direction a typical work day doesn’t—and it ensures some healthy non-screen time, too.

Cooking
I am my happiest on a mid-Sunday morning when every pot I own is bubbling simultaneously on the stove. The uncertainty, variety and rewards that come from spending a trillion hours in the kitchen make it worth the clean-up.

Mindful Living
Call me a hippy if you must, but for the last year or so I’ve been avoiding plastic Tupperware and making my own shampoo, face wash, laundry detergent, candles and hand soap. Enough research on hormone disrupting and cancer causing chemicals will do that to a girl. The safety concerns aside, DIYing most of my personal care items is straight up empowering.

One or two of these a day keeps the therapist doctor away. What items would make your healthy-self list?

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025