The New Normal

In a recent conversation with my mom, she asked if I found my half-marathon training intrusive yet. Intrusive? I wash my running socks more often than I wash my hair (and trust, this by no way means I have a smelly scalp). I'm way past intrusive. Having completed a half-marathon of her own (my mom = awesome) she’s no stranger to giving up weekend mornings for long runs and feeling like your life revolves around the battery life on your sports watch.

Although I jumped right into my training program from a 39-day run streak, every week since I started training has felt a little more intrusive than the last. I run almost every day, and even when the run itself is done, the aches still linger in my muscles. Two Sundays ago I ran my longest run ever—a seven-miler around the local parkway with my friend Jill. The run went well; the following hours and next morning, not so much.

Last week I went out for what should have been a standard three-mile loop and had to stop after my hip challenged my foot for an ultimate ache stand off. My foot won and I wobbled to the resident running coach at my company’s gym (I’m spoiled) for help. He showed me a new stretch to add to my collection of 90 stretches I already do and suggested I have the company nurse (double spoiled) check the ergonomics of my workstation.


Now I sit with a straight back, shoulders ‘relaxed’, feet planted firmly on the floor, hips at a 90-degree angle and holy-improved-etiquette it is NOT as comfy as my normal slouch and stretch maneuver. This is what’s become intrusive—the training ripple effect. I use to not know what a foam roller was. Oh how I wish I still didn’t know what a foam roller was. I use to stay up past 9:30, now when I get a text after 10 I curse the sender as I drift back to sleep.

How I feel after a long run; except less
man-like and even more cupcake-hungry.
Some of my super-human co-workers can finish eight miles in a 60-minunte lunch hour, but P.S. have you have you seen the length of my legs? I’m not headed anywhere that fast. If I run four and multi-task with a quick shower/stretch combo, I might make it back to my desk just slightly late.

I have no qualms regarding my syrup-like speed, except that I’m not awarded any more hours in a day to make up for the excess time I spend on a constant foot tour of my town. Because of this, I usually run before work and then I still barely make it out the door on time. (I know what you’re thinking and no, I cannot wake up earlier. I just can’t.) This January I ran three times as much as I ran in January 2011. Tha-reeee times.

I have two vacations (triple spoiled) scheduled between now and race day. Having any sort of concrete plans during a vacation = intrusive in my book. Mind you, however intrusive I've found it, it’s not to say I’m not enjoying it. Let’s not act like every run feels like a gallop through Candy Land, but I enjoy most of them and I extra enjoy the runner’s high that makes me feel like King Kandy after the real long ones (I’m looking at you, 9-mile Sunday). Perma-sore legs, extra laundry and early bedtimes can be fun! …right? I need a training plan to build acceptance for my new normal.

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025