Working at Rodale
In April 2011 a position opened at one of the companies I had interned at. It was the role of ‘digital coordinator’ to the CEO’s blog, which fell oh-so-close to the project and team I did my internship with. I was thrilled to rejoin with Rodale as a full-time employee.
Helping Maria Rodale expand her blog, Maria’s Farm Country Kitchen, felt like a project that was created just for me. I took her small-scale Wordpress blog from a handful of readers to thousands and launched social media pages for additional marketing opportunities. I increased the content from three posts a week to five and single-handedly redesigned her blog transforming it into a multi-page environment readers could get lost in.
Four months into my role, my former Rodale.com supervisor put in a request to bring me back in to some of the exciting changes and projects that were going on there. I took over the social media channels and started forming marketing, outreach and content repurposing plans to help boost traffic at that domain. In January 2012, a new general manager was welcomed on to the Rodale.com team and by February he requested I transition more of my time and energy to Rodale.com.
The spring of 2012 was an exciting time of growth and change for Rodale.com. I launched a Plastic-Free Challenge in February which allowed us to showcase some of our best content and challenged readers and bloggers to live without plastic for a month. The result was a smashing success, breaking our record traffic numbers and gaining the attention of several major national news organizations. I was also the point-person on the project of launching a contributor’s blog where invited experts could publish content populating our site. In the spring of 2012, I pitched a project that would attract a younger demographic the site was lacking and started refreshing and collecting content to create beginner’s eBooks.
Though the Rodale.com team was growing, it was still very much a small yet successful brand operated by a dedicated group who truly lived, breathed and believed in the content we published. Working with a small team allowed me to flex my creative muscles and juggle a variety of diverse projects. I was able to sharpen skills I didn’t know were of interest to me and learned that I thrive on the excitement of a plate a little too full than not full enough.
Helping Maria Rodale expand her blog, Maria’s Farm Country Kitchen, felt like a project that was created just for me. I took her small-scale Wordpress blog from a handful of readers to thousands and launched social media pages for additional marketing opportunities. I increased the content from three posts a week to five and single-handedly redesigned her blog transforming it into a multi-page environment readers could get lost in.
Four months into my role, my former Rodale.com supervisor put in a request to bring me back in to some of the exciting changes and projects that were going on there. I took over the social media channels and started forming marketing, outreach and content repurposing plans to help boost traffic at that domain. In January 2012, a new general manager was welcomed on to the Rodale.com team and by February he requested I transition more of my time and energy to Rodale.com.
The spring of 2012 was an exciting time of growth and change for Rodale.com. I launched a Plastic-Free Challenge in February which allowed us to showcase some of our best content and challenged readers and bloggers to live without plastic for a month. The result was a smashing success, breaking our record traffic numbers and gaining the attention of several major national news organizations. I was also the point-person on the project of launching a contributor’s blog where invited experts could publish content populating our site. In the spring of 2012, I pitched a project that would attract a younger demographic the site was lacking and started refreshing and collecting content to create beginner’s eBooks.
Though the Rodale.com team was growing, it was still very much a small yet successful brand operated by a dedicated group who truly lived, breathed and believed in the content we published. Working with a small team allowed me to flex my creative muscles and juggle a variety of diverse projects. I was able to sharpen skills I didn’t know were of interest to me and learned that I thrive on the excitement of a plate a little too full than not full enough.