Triathlon Training: Weeks 1 & 2
It’s go time, baby! I just finished two weeks of an eight week sprint triathlon training plan, prepping for early June’s GR Tri.
I can’t state enough how much I love training. So much more than the race itself. The daily challenge, the discipline of my paper plan coach, watching progress build–it's rewarding.
This year’s training plan is in chunks where I repeat workouts for two weeks before building on. These past two weeks haven’t asked more of me on a daily basis than what I’m capable of, but the nature of triathlon training is to do the next day tired from the day before, and boy was I tired after week one.
Monday I ran.
Tuesday I biked.
Wednesday I lifted.
Thursday I rested. THANK GOD.
Friday I swam. And ok, just to say, middle-aged-Craig tried to recruit me for the YMCA Masters Club team again, so your girl’s still got it!
Saturday I biked and ran.
Sunday I did an endurance bike ride.
Early bedtimes happened. Snoozing morning alarms happened. Foam rolling while wincing a bit happened.
Week two was the same workouts, but I felt much more stable and controlled. My body is acclimating to the quality/effort I’m asking of it. Go me!
Next week (week 3) the workouts amp up in length and intensity. Completion of the next two week chunk will bring me to the mid-point in training. I’ll be building endurance back in a big way. Wait until Craig gets a load of me THEN!
I can’t state enough how much I love training. So much more than the race itself. The daily challenge, the discipline of my paper plan coach, watching progress build–it's rewarding.
This year’s training plan is in chunks where I repeat workouts for two weeks before building on. These past two weeks haven’t asked more of me on a daily basis than what I’m capable of, but the nature of triathlon training is to do the next day tired from the day before, and boy was I tired after week one.
Monday I ran.
Tuesday I biked.
Wednesday I lifted.
Thursday I rested. THANK GOD.
Friday I swam. And ok, just to say, middle-aged-Craig tried to recruit me for the YMCA Masters Club team again, so your girl’s still got it!
Saturday I biked and ran.
Sunday I did an endurance bike ride.
Early bedtimes happened. Snoozing morning alarms happened. Foam rolling while wincing a bit happened.
Week two was the same workouts, but I felt much more stable and controlled. My body is acclimating to the quality/effort I’m asking of it. Go me!
Next week (week 3) the workouts amp up in length and intensity. Completion of the next two week chunk will bring me to the mid-point in training. I’ll be building endurance back in a big way. Wait until Craig gets a load of me THEN!