Mama’s Perfect Baked Chicken
I follow “The Rapping Chef” on Instagram. Exactly as his handle suggests, he raps the directions of each recipe he makes. It’s entertaining.
The other day he posted a baked chicken recipe that looks really good. I gotta make that. Except, he doesn’t post the recipe text, just raps it. I gave him several views while I wrote it down, and you know what–WORTH IT.
Last night at family dinner it was unanimous: MY baked chicken (The Rapping Chef’s recipe, but hey, I made it!) was a HIT.
This does take a while to cook. Honestly, it would be a great fall/winter recipe vs spring/summer. I’ll save this one for a bit, but certainly will cook it again.
Mama’s Perfect Baked Chicken
Ingredients
1 bunch of green onions (5-7)
5 cloves of garlic
½ cup parsley chopped
Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning (or salt/pepper/chili powder/garlic powder mix as a replacement)
Chicken broth (about 2 cups)
2-4 chicken thighs (skin on, bone in)
4-8 chicken legs (skin on, bone in)
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 425F
2. Chop green onions, garlic, and parsley. Set aside.
3. Season both sides of chicken thighs and legs with creole seasoning mix
4. Add oil to a large pan on the stove. Sear chicken on both sides, about 3 minutes per side, working in batches to not over crowd the pan. Move chicken to a large, over-safe casserole dish when done
5. After all chicken is seared, add the onion, garlic, parsley mix to the same pan. Add chicken broth and cook for 2-3 minutes
6. Pour the herb/chicken broth mix into the casserole dish around the chicken. Spoon some of the liquid/herbs on top of each piece. Cover the dish and bake for 45 minutes
7. After 45 minutes, remove the cover and bake for another 25
The chicken is super juicy and almost falls off the bone.
Notes
You’ll want enough chicken broth to meet the chicken about halfway up. You don’t want it completely submerged, but don’t want too little, either.
The original recipe had all of this made in one large stove/oven safe dutch oven with a lid. That’ll work if you’re cooking for 2-4 people. To follow that approach, sear the chicken, remove it to a separate plate, cook the veggie/broth mix, then add the chicken back in, cover and bake. Otherwise, I had no problem with the half stove/pot, half glass casserole dish approach.
The other day he posted a baked chicken recipe that looks really good. I gotta make that. Except, he doesn’t post the recipe text, just raps it. I gave him several views while I wrote it down, and you know what–WORTH IT.
Last night at family dinner it was unanimous: MY baked chicken (The Rapping Chef’s recipe, but hey, I made it!) was a HIT.
This does take a while to cook. Honestly, it would be a great fall/winter recipe vs spring/summer. I’ll save this one for a bit, but certainly will cook it again.
Mama’s Perfect Baked Chicken
Ingredients
1 bunch of green onions (5-7)
5 cloves of garlic
½ cup parsley chopped
Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning (or salt/pepper/chili powder/garlic powder mix as a replacement)
Chicken broth (about 2 cups)
2-4 chicken thighs (skin on, bone in)
4-8 chicken legs (skin on, bone in)
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 425F
2. Chop green onions, garlic, and parsley. Set aside.
3. Season both sides of chicken thighs and legs with creole seasoning mix
4. Add oil to a large pan on the stove. Sear chicken on both sides, about 3 minutes per side, working in batches to not over crowd the pan. Move chicken to a large, over-safe casserole dish when done
5. After all chicken is seared, add the onion, garlic, parsley mix to the same pan. Add chicken broth and cook for 2-3 minutes
6. Pour the herb/chicken broth mix into the casserole dish around the chicken. Spoon some of the liquid/herbs on top of each piece. Cover the dish and bake for 45 minutes
7. After 45 minutes, remove the cover and bake for another 25
The chicken is super juicy and almost falls off the bone.
Notes
You’ll want enough chicken broth to meet the chicken about halfway up. You don’t want it completely submerged, but don’t want too little, either.
The original recipe had all of this made in one large stove/oven safe dutch oven with a lid. That’ll work if you’re cooking for 2-4 people. To follow that approach, sear the chicken, remove it to a separate plate, cook the veggie/broth mix, then add the chicken back in, cover and bake. Otherwise, I had no problem with the half stove/pot, half glass casserole dish approach.