A Kayak + Swim in the Thornapple

We've unlocked a new family activity: kayaking!

This comes after a huge flop of an inflatable kayak (but it had 24K high reviews!) purchase last fall off Amazon, complete with a maiden voyage where I shouted from shore to Ben & C--NO! COME BACK! THAT'S ENOUGH! YOU'RE IN THE WATER!

Then we realized Ben's company gives a good chunk of cash to each employee annually as "wellness dollars"--workout equipment including kayaks qualifies for reimbursement. Score!

So I shopped around and bought two from a sound, renowned water sports shop--our local grocery store. No, but for real, they put out kayaks for sale each season for whatever reason. And they're a brand name I know from research.

Immediately after purchase we took them to the Thornapple River public launch spot a half mile from our house. Ben & C in one, my brother & A in the other. It was a great maiden voyage! The boys loved it. We'll be back and back and back. 

Also this weekend was a trial swim for the GR Triathlon next weekend. This is a non-race, just-for-fun opportunity to get used to the open water. Each time I get more and more comfortable and this time I actually found a decent rhythm with my stroke that felt more natural and less floundering. 

It's been a busy 7 weeks of training. I've stayed diligent to my training plan but in general feel tight, tender, a little more sluggish than strong. I'm hopeful this last week where workouts ease up gives my muscles the rest they've been craving.

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025