40 Mile Gran Fondo

Dang, that was a ride!

The last time I did this ride was 10(!) years ago. It’s been a while since I’ve been on my bike for that amount of time. Lately I’ve been hanging out around 15 miles or less. I certainly had the fitness from tri training for this ride, but the full enjoyment–not so much.

We had an amazing weather day for the ride though. Overcast at 8:15am at start, clearing up to full sun that thankfully only got hot toward the end of our ride. I rode with my brother, who kept me at a pace just above what I’d do if I were on my own. Keeping up with him was a challenge the whole ride!

He did coach me into getting down to my bottom handlebars where I really hadn’t spent much time utilizing. I get it now, low handlebar riding is where it’s at.

Overall I finished the 40 mile ride in 2:29:11 (including a 5ish min mid-way break). My bike calculator stats were 2:24; average speed 16.6. Also, please note, THIS WAS HILLY! Like 1,200ft of elevation during the ride. I wasn’t riding this for any time goal in mind, just to enjoy. I’m quite pleased with that tough effort.

4 miles into the ride my hips were already starting to ache. I held out fine but came to the realization clocking big distances and hours on my bike is just not my favorite. It’s achy, repetitive and not my favorite kind of biking.

Next year that 25 mile ride has my name all over it.

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025