Here go, Coco

It's after dinner
On a cold winter storm February night
And we're on the couch in our jammies
A, C and me
Three bodies in a row
One looks ahead--Winnie the Pooh is on
The second looks ahead--Winnie the Pooh, after all, is on
And me
I look at them

Two little profiles
All bubbly curves
The round forehead into the sweet bunny hill ski slope nose
Dropping down to the little open lips
The tiny chin
Hardly separate from the lower chin/under chin/neck/tummy
Lovely tiny profiles
Of the lovely little people
We made

While watching Winnie the Pooh they're snacking
Because when aren't they snacking?!
It's a special snack
I always want it to be a special snack
I always want it to be special
I always want it to be

Out of the movie watching silence a sweet little sound
"Here go, Coco"
The "you" is gone, because it's hushed, it's rushed,
Here, take this quick, I don't want to disrupt you or me from this movie
3-yr-old A passes 5-yr-old C a mini marshmallow from the snack tray
Shared and saved for his special only brother

"Here go, Coco"
Coco
A has never called C anything else
Coco
It always has been
How I hope it always will be

But that's not mine to determine

Just like the little round features
The love for Winnie the Pooh
The enjoyment of mini marshmallows
It won't always stay this way

They'll grow

Just like the did from squirmy babies to these beautiful brilliant boys

And on they'll grow

Features flatten and sharpen
Opinions change and morph
Little boyhood will give way to big boyhood
And after that I...
Well that's another poem for another day

"Here go, Coco"
The sweet voices
The brotherly love
It may not stay forever
But when I think of Winnie the Pooh and mini marshmallows--I'll remember it forever

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025