February Indoor YMCA Triathlon Race Recap
Ouch! Wow. Ok. That felt hard. I felt 35, for sure. Hah!
Going into today I was a little less fit than I was at January’s race, but I had the knowledge from January of how the race was run and how 15 minutes in each discipline felt, which was valuable to draw from.
I wanted to do a little better than my January times, of course, but given how I felt coming in I thought performing close would be more realistic.
Swim
Honestly, my arms were sore immediately, likely from other recent activities I’ve been up to. Halfway through I was feeling it, but settled into a strong endurance stroke I was able to keep up. I finished just the same as January–42 laps/10,052 meters.
Bike
This was just plain hard today! I biked 4.7 miles at 18.8mph pace last race, and was struggling to hold that today. I hovered near but below it almost the entire time, pushing a few times. I really pushed it at the end to finish at 4.5 miles/18mph.
Run
This indoor race was at the downtown YMCA, not the Mary Free Bed location, which means a mile was 7 times around the track, not 5. So many more turns! Also, half of that track was broiling with a lovely winter summer sun beating through the windows. That was rough. Also–just not as fit. I settled into a comfortable-ish pace I could hang on for 15 min, but not a second more. I ran just the same as my January finish–1.8 miles/8:20 pace.
Overall, man, these little races pack a big big punch. They’re 45 min of straight sprinting, 3 different ways. It’s a true beat up, especially the way I tackle them with my all out and then some more and then more and more.
I love pushing myself though. How cool my body can do this? How fun it is to swim fast again, bike hard and then run fast? Very best of all? The boys saw me do it–and now they want to do it too.
Ope, gotta go. Very tired. Also kind of crying now. And I need ice cream.
Going into today I was a little less fit than I was at January’s race, but I had the knowledge from January of how the race was run and how 15 minutes in each discipline felt, which was valuable to draw from.
I wanted to do a little better than my January times, of course, but given how I felt coming in I thought performing close would be more realistic.
Swim
Honestly, my arms were sore immediately, likely from other recent activities I’ve been up to. Halfway through I was feeling it, but settled into a strong endurance stroke I was able to keep up. I finished just the same as January–42 laps/10,052 meters.
Bike
This was just plain hard today! I biked 4.7 miles at 18.8mph pace last race, and was struggling to hold that today. I hovered near but below it almost the entire time, pushing a few times. I really pushed it at the end to finish at 4.5 miles/18mph.
Run
This indoor race was at the downtown YMCA, not the Mary Free Bed location, which means a mile was 7 times around the track, not 5. So many more turns! Also, half of that track was broiling with a lovely winter summer sun beating through the windows. That was rough. Also–just not as fit. I settled into a comfortable-ish pace I could hang on for 15 min, but not a second more. I ran just the same as my January finish–1.8 miles/8:20 pace.
Overall, man, these little races pack a big big punch. They’re 45 min of straight sprinting, 3 different ways. It’s a true beat up, especially the way I tackle them with my all out and then some more and then more and more.
I love pushing myself though. How cool my body can do this? How fun it is to swim fast again, bike hard and then run fast? Very best of all? The boys saw me do it–and now they want to do it too.
Ope, gotta go. Very tired. Also kind of crying now. And I need ice cream.