In Conclusion
It doesn’t actually feel like I left the house in 2021. Surely I did… to get the mail, milk and bread.
I wore a mask this year. I wore pajamas. I drank a lot of coffee and never felt more energized. I got a new fancy stove-top coffee gizmo for Christmas. It reminds me to be slow and steady.
My garden absolutely boomed. In late August we ate cucumbers with every meal. I also grew one peony.
We found the best big and small (Myers Lake Park in Rockford) lake spots this year. I bought myself beautiful cut peonies.
We traveled twice (legit, out of state traveling). Saw friends maybe three times. Saw family more.
I started a new job. It was a big, wildly uncomfortable, completely brilliant, wonderfully-life-altering-for-my-family leap which, at only 3 months in, has resulted in more professional happiness than I’ve felt in years.
I bought a lot of stuff off Amazon. Washable markers. The next size up in little boy shoes, and the next, and the next. Drill bits. A portable mini campfire. 50 KN95 masks by accident. These perfect pajama shorts. A kid’s pedal go kart I’m not allowed to ride. This A+ crossbody bag I better always have snackies in. I bought a yellow dress for family photos that were canceled, a shofar for Rosh Hashana we hosted outside.
We celebrated birthdays, holidays, happy events and none of them looked like I wanted them to. Like they should have. And yet, we celebrated them. With cake, and smiles and cheers and my sweet, precious, beautiful little boys had nothing but child-like wonder and joy on their faces.
This year I was reminded to step out of my comfort zone, try new things, open my mind, wash my leggings, come inside, close the doors and relish three others within the four small walls I call home.
I wore a mask this year. I wore pajamas. I drank a lot of coffee and never felt more energized. I got a new fancy stove-top coffee gizmo for Christmas. It reminds me to be slow and steady.
My garden absolutely boomed. In late August we ate cucumbers with every meal. I also grew one peony.
We found the best big and small (Myers Lake Park in Rockford) lake spots this year. I bought myself beautiful cut peonies.
We traveled twice (legit, out of state traveling). Saw friends maybe three times. Saw family more.
I started a new job. It was a big, wildly uncomfortable, completely brilliant, wonderfully-life-altering-for-my-family leap which, at only 3 months in, has resulted in more professional happiness than I’ve felt in years.
I bought a lot of stuff off Amazon. Washable markers. The next size up in little boy shoes, and the next, and the next. Drill bits. A portable mini campfire. 50 KN95 masks by accident. These perfect pajama shorts. A kid’s pedal go kart I’m not allowed to ride. This A+ crossbody bag I better always have snackies in. I bought a yellow dress for family photos that were canceled, a shofar for Rosh Hashana we hosted outside.
We celebrated birthdays, holidays, happy events and none of them looked like I wanted them to. Like they should have. And yet, we celebrated them. With cake, and smiles and cheers and my sweet, precious, beautiful little boys had nothing but child-like wonder and joy on their faces.
This year I was reminded to step out of my comfort zone, try new things, open my mind, wash my leggings, come inside, close the doors and relish three others within the four small walls I call home.