Being Back

After 522 days away* I'm back to working in the office again.

And honestly, it’s kind of nice!

My little 15 minute commute gives me breathing room between Morning Mom™ to UX Professional.

I’m actually now wondering how many 8:30am Teams calls I’ve joined over quarantine with my Mom Voice still in full effect. Oof.

Being back in the office has been surprisingly nice. I’ve never had an assigned desk, but since returning I’ve had no trouble finding individual tucked away stations to work at. There still aren't a lot of people back, or at least not back at the same time, so I have the distance and distraction-less set up I want right now too.

And I have the flexibility and respect I need to return comfortably. I’m in the office most days but finish up my work day back at home. I hope some mix of working from both locations stays my norm.

In the last 522 days I’ve felt the most ease and happiness I’ve ever felt in balancing all my roles--mom, wife, homeowner, employee, team member, etc.

Instead of a commute, I’d pick up around the house. Instead of social catch up time with coworkers, I’d call my mom or grandma. Instead of browsing Instagram for a break, I’d throw a load of laundry in.

The list goes on.

And while I don’t want to feel the social and professional isolation I felt working from home full time, I also don’t want the physical and emotional burden of being in the office all day–away from the 99 million little tasks a day that I’d otherwise need to contort myself and multi multi task to complete in a limited number of at home hours.

I’ve learned so much and seen so many sides of myself during this pandemic. I’ve seen that not only can I be better in all my outward facing roles, but I can personally be happier with more balance too. And now that I’ve seen it, I don’t want to lose it. 

*My last regular day in the office before returning recently was December 17, 2019–the Thursday before Adrian was born. On my first day back to work after maternity leave ended in mid-March 2020 my manager told me I ought to stay put as our company was starting to mandate everyone to start working from home. 

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025