A Small, At Home, Thanksgiving

Instead of traveling across the state for this year, Thanksgiving came to us. At 33 weeks pregnant I’m feeling just too pregnant for cross-state travel.

My in-laws came to us, with a turkey in tow, and I made the sides. And I have to say, while it was sad staying home meant we didn’t get to see more family members, I was excited by the chance to make so many Thanksgiving dishes myself.

I took several shortcuts to make the process easier. Here’s what I made, and what I’d recommend if you find yourself looking for simplicity in hosting a holiday meal.

Menu
“Potatoes Deluxe” (classic cheesy potato casserole)
This is a total dump and bake recipe. I made it from start to finish on Thanksgiving Day and it was no more than 7 minutes of hands on time.

Instant Pot mashed potatoes
These are some of the best mashed potatoes I’ve had, and they could not be easier. Bonus points for not needing the holiday-in-demand-oven/stove. I’d even consider traveling to a host’s house with my Instant Pot and making these there in the future.

Green beans gremolata
I blanched my green bean the day before so just needed to saute and serve on Thanksgiving day. My version didn’t turn out amazing, in the future I’d saute the green beans longer and double the gremolata (or at least double the cheese in it!).

Herby stuffing
I last minute decided I wanted stuffing, and luckily had all the basics needed for it. I found this recipe which is less recipe more guidelines. It helped me make a decent stuffing using just what I had on hand.

I also made a just ok turkeyless gravy (I had no drippings to use since my mother-in-law was traveling in with the turkey) and an apple galette for dessert. In hindsight I should have just made a full size pie, but I did mix up cinnamon ice cream (soften vanilla ice cream, stir in cinnamon and refreeze) which I feel like should be a holiday mandatory dessert.

Despite so many sides, I was probably working in the kitchen for a total of 3 hours the day before to prep, and 1 hour the day of. It was quite stress-free and very tasty too.

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025