House Binder

Here’s something I regret not doing in our last house: I didn’t make a house binder.

This would have been handy when I couldn’t find the paint color I needed to touch up wall scuffs in Cameron’s room. Or when I called the wrong pest control company because I lost the number to the original place.

The former owners of our current house left us a ton of great info--manuals for appliances, business cards for trusted lawn care companies, details of paint colors. The other day I was looking for that paint color by room list and almost couldn’t find it.

How stupid would it have been to lose such a helpful list?

This is why I house bindered.

Currently in our house binder is basic info like the year the house was built/our move in date, neighbor’s names and phone numbers, business cards for people/companies we like, our garbage company’s pick up schedule and of course paint color/finish info.

I could see adding other good-to-know stuff like age of appliances, to-do lists by season (looking at you, gutter clean out) and long term maintenance projects like getting the pine trees sprayed or oiling the garage door chain.

A house binder feels like it’s on the extreme/obsessive end of organization. It is. And mine has extra obsessive color coated dividers and labels which probably takes that obsessive level up a notch or two. That’s how I roll. I’m pretty pumped about being able to reference this year after year with everything in one spot.

(I put all our manuals and receipts in our filing cabinet as these can be bulky space sucker upers and also aren’t needed as regularly.)

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025