Cameron
Last summer Ben and I transferred a Rose of Sharon bush from one corner of our backyard to another. When we left for the hospital on Tuesday it was green and quiet, but when we returned home Thursday night all its flowers were wide open in beautiful bloom.
Now that Cameron is here, everything feels different in a way I can’t explain. Maybe our backyard flowering bush gets it.
The last few days have been a beautiful whirlwind. We shockingly quickly and thankfully uneventfully welcomed Cameron Asher into the world Tuesday, July 18 at 5:07PM.
That morning I went for a walk solo, felt my first contraction during a 10am conference call, called Ben to come home from work at 11am and was in active labor in the hospital by noon. We both ate hospital cafeteria cheeseburgers in our recovery room with Cameron snoozing in a bassinet by our side by dinner time. We, along with our awesome nurses and doctor and doula, were shocked at the speed of it all.
Live on the “other side” has started out great. We’ve formed a solid tag team effort of baby care that is keeping us happy so far. We’re quickly finding new issues and patiently trying new solutions to tackle them.
Cameron is a beautiful, hungry, snoozy boy who loves cozy time on his parents’ chests. He can work himself into a fuss, but not without a good reason. He seems like such a “Cameron” to us, no longer “Bub”.
The name “Cameron” was one of the very few we both liked from very early on in our name research. It’s also my brother’s middle name, and he’s a pretty great guy, so we’re pleased with that. “Asher” is in honor of Ben’s grandpa Arthur. By coincidence the Hebrew meaning of the name is “happy and blessed”, which certainly felt fitting.
I’ve been healing and feeling very well, thankfully. I fully anticipated writing a third trimester blog post about feeling huge, struggling to hoist my big belly off the couch, feeling increasingly achy all over. I’m amazed at how quickly the human body can change, and pretty pleased to not be lugging a forward facing bowling ball around my middle anymore.
For however well I’m doing, Ben is even better. I’ve never seen more of an all-star dad in my life. He’s the definition of a natural. He does almost everything better than me—swaddling, calming, diaper changes, general baby problem solving. I have no idea how single parents do this thing, but also no idea how married couples who don’t have Ben in their dad role do it.
I can’t believe he’s here. Ben and I look at each other constantly and say in surprise, “we’re doing this, we’re really doing this!” Yep, doing this we are.
Now that Cameron is here, everything feels different in a way I can’t explain. Maybe our backyard flowering bush gets it.
The last few days have been a beautiful whirlwind. We shockingly quickly and thankfully uneventfully welcomed Cameron Asher into the world Tuesday, July 18 at 5:07PM.
That morning I went for a walk solo, felt my first contraction during a 10am conference call, called Ben to come home from work at 11am and was in active labor in the hospital by noon. We both ate hospital cafeteria cheeseburgers in our recovery room with Cameron snoozing in a bassinet by our side by dinner time. We, along with our awesome nurses and doctor and doula, were shocked at the speed of it all.
Live on the “other side” has started out great. We’ve formed a solid tag team effort of baby care that is keeping us happy so far. We’re quickly finding new issues and patiently trying new solutions to tackle them.
Cameron is a beautiful, hungry, snoozy boy who loves cozy time on his parents’ chests. He can work himself into a fuss, but not without a good reason. He seems like such a “Cameron” to us, no longer “Bub”.
The name “Cameron” was one of the very few we both liked from very early on in our name research. It’s also my brother’s middle name, and he’s a pretty great guy, so we’re pleased with that. “Asher” is in honor of Ben’s grandpa Arthur. By coincidence the Hebrew meaning of the name is “happy and blessed”, which certainly felt fitting.
I’ve been healing and feeling very well, thankfully. I fully anticipated writing a third trimester blog post about feeling huge, struggling to hoist my big belly off the couch, feeling increasingly achy all over. I’m amazed at how quickly the human body can change, and pretty pleased to not be lugging a forward facing bowling ball around my middle anymore.
For however well I’m doing, Ben is even better. I’ve never seen more of an all-star dad in my life. He’s the definition of a natural. He does almost everything better than me—swaddling, calming, diaper changes, general baby problem solving. I have no idea how single parents do this thing, but also no idea how married couples who don’t have Ben in their dad role do it.
I can’t believe he’s here. Ben and I look at each other constantly and say in surprise, “we’re doing this, we’re really doing this!” Yep, doing this we are.