4th of July Staycation
In lieu of summer travelin’ we spent our 4th of July weekend adventuring around town. I can’t remember which day we did what—which I’m sure is a direct correlation to holiday weekend success—but here’s a rough recap of our long lazy days.
We made lots of big breakfasts and went out afterward on long neighborhood walks. Once upon a time I got a thrill out of seeing Ben struggle more than me on a run/bike ride together. While that hasn’t happened in a long time, I’m pleased to report I did tire him out on a few of our epic walks!
We went on a spontaneous date night (a soon-to-be endangered phrase/activity) to San Chez for fancy Spanish tapas. On their back deck we talked about our trip to Europe, Ben’s five year work-aversary and (of course) about Bub. Also, I had a really great virgin mojito that made me briefly consider smuggling a bottle of wine into the hospital for a post delivery celebration.
One morning we strolled through the Fulton Street Farmer’s Market and picked up what will likely be the last of West Michigan’s candy sweet strawberries. MAN those are good.
On the 4th we walked to downtown East Grand Rapids. While our timing was off and we just narrowly missed the town parade, we did grab a yummy lunch and laid a blanket out at the crowded lakefront park to watch a water-ski show.
Beyond that—naps happened, ice cream in my morning coffee happened, wearing basketball shorts and watching Netflix with the A/C cranked up happened (for both of us, might I add). I spent about 15 minutes picking weeds and Ben spent the same amount of time quickly convincing me the grass could be cut another day.
It was sweet to rest and lounge together, but there were also many moments where it felt like someone else was missing. We can’t wait to meet this little baby of ours—to bring him along on our weekend walks, farmer’s market trips, holiday parades and to put fancy date nights eating tapas on hold for a while.
We made lots of big breakfasts and went out afterward on long neighborhood walks. Once upon a time I got a thrill out of seeing Ben struggle more than me on a run/bike ride together. While that hasn’t happened in a long time, I’m pleased to report I did tire him out on a few of our epic walks!
We went on a spontaneous date night (a soon-to-be endangered phrase/activity) to San Chez for fancy Spanish tapas. On their back deck we talked about our trip to Europe, Ben’s five year work-aversary and (of course) about Bub. Also, I had a really great virgin mojito that made me briefly consider smuggling a bottle of wine into the hospital for a post delivery celebration.
One morning we strolled through the Fulton Street Farmer’s Market and picked up what will likely be the last of West Michigan’s candy sweet strawberries. MAN those are good.
On the 4th we walked to downtown East Grand Rapids. While our timing was off and we just narrowly missed the town parade, we did grab a yummy lunch and laid a blanket out at the crowded lakefront park to watch a water-ski show.
Beyond that—naps happened, ice cream in my morning coffee happened, wearing basketball shorts and watching Netflix with the A/C cranked up happened (for both of us, might I add). I spent about 15 minutes picking weeds and Ben spent the same amount of time quickly convincing me the grass could be cut another day.
It was sweet to rest and lounge together, but there were also many moments where it felt like someone else was missing. We can’t wait to meet this little baby of ours—to bring him along on our weekend walks, farmer’s market trips, holiday parades and to put fancy date nights eating tapas on hold for a while.