Runner E

This was a real good weekend to be home for.

We had an early celebration for my dad’s birthday. We toured a local Frank Lloyd Wright house—which has really become a favorite hobby. We watched my brother finish his first half marathon. We had a lunch I hosted at my grandparent’s house.


It was just a really full, fun weekend.

Sunday morning we all woke up at 4am to make it to the Detroit Half Marathon race start by 7am. Parking, and Detroit with the 26K some runners and all their cheerers was crazy, but we made it happen.

I saw an online ad earlier in the week for big, cut-out heads and decided to make my own as cheer sticks for my brother. I spent a really creative night covered in Elmer’s glue jazzing up four cut-outs of his face for my parents, Ben and I.


My dad might have frightened a little girl cheering on the side lines with the female Evan face.


The cut-outs were big hits most importantly with my brother but also for whoever saw them. We waved them ferociously when we saw him at mile 1, 8 and 12. He had a phenomenal first half marathon with good weather, a great run and a smile on his face at the end saying “oh yeah, I’d do that again.”

Man. He rocked it.


Ben, we'll work on your Evan face.

Between our cheers we walked around Detroit and saw the Navy vessel USS Detroit docked at the Riverwalk, and largely took in how beautiful this section of downtown has become—clean, vibrant, rejuvenated.

Overlooking runners coming out of the tunnel from Canada
By the time Ben and I got back to Grand Rapids Sunday late afternoon, we were spent. I have a feeling Monday morning is going to come too early.

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025