A Clean Yard and Apple Crisp
Thanks to my family’s free labor, all the big yard projects we wanted to accomplish this year are done.
And our yard looks SO good.
The biggest task we needed extra hands for was the relocating of 14 burning bushes. They once lined our property along the street, killing our curb appeal and driving Ben crazy every time he had to mow around them individually.
The idea of moving them seemed so overwhelming—until my mom offered to help.
Between my parents, my brother, Ben and I we moved 10 burning bushes, cut down four, trimmed five trees, cut back two other bushes and edged/removed the sod around a big tree to lay a circular bed of mulch.
ALL hands were on deck all day Saturday and for a little extra time Sunday morning. I had a feeling my team would show up and work like mad so I baked a big apple crisp Friday night in anticipation.
Nothing was sweeter on a cozy, cold fall night than to treat our sore muscles to crunchy warm apple crisp. I ended up sextupling a single serve recipe I found a week ago because I liked it so much.
Both the apple crisp and the finished front yard turned out to be crowd pleasers for sure.
Ben and I can’t get over how great the yard looks, and how much more manageable it feels. How sweet it feels to be so loved and supported.
Coconut Oil Apple Crisp
Modified from Pinch of Yum’s recipe
Ingredients
1/2 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup flour plus 1.5 tablespoons flour
1/3 cup brown sugar plus 1.5 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon plus 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
5-6 cups chopped apples
Directions
- Pre-heat oven to 350
- Melt the coconut oil. Stir in oats, pecans, 1/3 cup flour, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Peel and chop the apples. Toss with 1.5 tablespoons flour, 1.5 tablespoons brown sugar and 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- In a greased 9x13 baking dish layer push half the oat mixture onto the bottom of the dish. Top with all of the apples and the remaining oat mixture—pushing down into a crust
- Bake at 350 for 35 minutes
Notes
When I made this I forgot to put half the oat mixture as a bottom layer. You certainly can do that, but it yields a very thick crumble layer on top.
