Daily Core Workout

I went for a run the other day and woke up the next morning with a twinge in my leg.

What?! It wasn’t a long, fast or rough terrain run! I rested, iced, stretched but still felt it. When I finally ran again I felt residual tightness creeping up my hip.

This isn’t my first rodeo with aches and pains like this. My core is weak. I know it, and know it’s all connected. And the past gazillion months of saying yeah, I’m DEFINITELY going to do core work tonight and not doing it? Obviously not doing me any favors.

So I’m employing self punishment discipline with a core workout I’m going to do daily. Yep, evvvvery day. For a while at least. And since I want to make this a daily commitment I need the hurdles to be reasonably low—quick, minimal equipment, no extreme residual soreness.

I put together these exercises because they really target all over—mid core, sides, lower back, upper back, glutes. It takes me no more than 5 minutes but I still felt a little sore after the first and second days. Weak core—I’m comin’ for ya.

Front plank: Straight arms, straight legs, straight core. Arms directly under your shoulders. Head looking forward in neutral position. Hold for 30 seconds.

Side plank: I prefer to keep my supporting arm straight and my opposite arm stretching up overhead. Stack feet one on top of the other and keep your hips elevated. Hold for 20 seconds.

Side plank hip drops: Immediately after the 20 second side plank, move into side plank hip drops. This is much easier in a side plank position with your supporting forearm on the ground and opposite hard on your hip. Lower and raise your hips to the ground then back up again five times.

Bird dog arm/leg lift: On all fours with your core engaged extend one leg straight out backward and the opposite arm out forward. Switch to the other side. Do 20 total, 10 on each side.

Superman: Laying on your stomach with arms stretched out forward in front of your face. Lift arms and legs simultaneously. Complete nine total, each third hold arms and legs up for three seconds.

Bridge: On your back with your feet on the ground and hips in the air. Relax arms down by your side. Scootch your feet as close to your butt as possible, keep legs close together. Raise and lower your hips. Complete nine total, each third hold for three seconds.

Hamstring stretch: Laying on your back with both legs stretched out in front of you, raise one. Loop a stretch band around one leg holding on to the stretch band with your arms. Keep the lifted leg up straight and in a place where you feel a stretch. Hold for 15 seconds on each leg.

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025