Grand Rapids Triathlon Race Recap
Saturday morning Ben passed the GMAT with the score he needed to get into his grad program—this morning it was my turn to impress.
Evan I were both competing in the Grand Rapids Triathlon. It was the first for both of us and we were so, so nervous and excited.
We got to the race at 6:30am (for a 6:45am course meeting). At 7am the half Ironman (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run) athletes started their swim. It was super fun to watch them, especially when they got out of the water and had race volunteer “strippers” help remove their wetsuits.
We set up our transition area by hanging our bikes on make-shift bike racks and setting out towels, helmets and other race essentials.
The race had around 10 different waves of swimmers based on distance and age group. A few minutes before our 8am swim start time we wadded into the water to get ready. Can you spot us?
We both felt good after the air horn sounded and took off quickly. Both Evan and I passed a handful of swimmers from the wave ahead of us. Here’s a video of our wave starting.
Eleven minutes later our 600 meter swim was done.
We ran out of the water, down a carpeted walk-way and toward the transition area for our bikes.
I took the 12 mile bike ride very easy—too easy. Tons of riders passed me on fancy bikes half the weight of mine. I rode conservatively in fear of how my legs would hold up for the 5K run. About an hour later I transitioned fast to the run.
Much to my surprise, I felt awesome on the run. I anticipated a 10 minute mile pace but finished the first mile in 8:47. And much opposite from the bike, I passed everyone that came into my sight.
And an hour and 49 minutes before I started the swim, I finished!
About 30 seconds later, Evan joined me.
Oh man that was so fun. I can’t wait to do it again.436
Evan I were both competing in the Grand Rapids Triathlon. It was the first for both of us and we were so, so nervous and excited.
We got to the race at 6:30am (for a 6:45am course meeting). At 7am the half Ironman (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run) athletes started their swim. It was super fun to watch them, especially when they got out of the water and had race volunteer “strippers” help remove their wetsuits.
We set up our transition area by hanging our bikes on make-shift bike racks and setting out towels, helmets and other race essentials.
The race had around 10 different waves of swimmers based on distance and age group. A few minutes before our 8am swim start time we wadded into the water to get ready. Can you spot us?
We both felt good after the air horn sounded and took off quickly. Both Evan and I passed a handful of swimmers from the wave ahead of us. Here’s a video of our wave starting.
We ran out of the water, down a carpeted walk-way and toward the transition area for our bikes.
I took the 12 mile bike ride very easy—too easy. Tons of riders passed me on fancy bikes half the weight of mine. I rode conservatively in fear of how my legs would hold up for the 5K run. About an hour later I transitioned fast to the run.
Much to my surprise, I felt awesome on the run. I anticipated a 10 minute mile pace but finished the first mile in 8:47. And much opposite from the bike, I passed everyone that came into my sight.
And an hour and 49 minutes before I started the swim, I finished!
About 30 seconds later, Evan joined me.
Oh man that was so fun. I can’t wait to do it again.436






