User Experience Certified!

Watch out world, I’m certified!

I took five courses in different user experience topics and passed an exam for each one to earn my Nielsen Norman Group UX certification.

Nielsen Norman Group has been the leading voice in user experience since 1998. They conduct research, evaluate interfaces and guide critical decisions to improve the bottom line. NN/g staff provide testing and feedback for hundreds of companies across a multitude of industries—and regularly write articles on web trends that impact the way we all use and understand websites.

While at the NN/g training in Las Vegas this past December I took and passed three courses, and finished the final two in Washington D.C. this past week.
Here are the tracks I took, and details on what each taught me:

UX Basic Training
I learned about the importance of a user-centered design and the benefits of testing user experience at each stage in a project. I got a baseline for what user testing is, isn’t and what methods to use to test effectively for good usable design.

UX Deliverables
This course was about effectively communicating user experience design ideas and research. I learned how to create wireframes, prototypes, user journeys, flowcharts, personas and usability reports—and how to create clear actionable research documents based on those deliverables.

Usability Testing
This was my formal user training course. I learned how to plan, conduct and analyze user testing sessions in-person, remote and online. This course empowered me to facilitate user testing sessions, develop test plans and to analyze data and successfully present findings.

Information Architecture
Information Architecture is about structuring and organizing to improve findability and discoverability. I learned core components of good IA, essential IA design methods and strategies and how to test a organization for user understanding.

Emerging Patterns for Web Design
This course covered trends in design that impact user experience. I learned about new and existing user interface trends and got evidence-based insight about what practices work best for what application and how to apply them effectively.

These courses—and this training—are incredibly beneficial to work projects I’ve started tackling. This training gives me the skills I need to walk users through our web experiences to collect direct feedback on what’s working, what’s not and what we need to change to make our sites even more valuable.

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025