Craftz: Stupid Lotion Bars
Nothing says “thanks for hosting my wedding shower” like a homemade lotion bar, right? I saw a blog post with the DIY “recipe” a few weeks ago and quickly ordered supplies. The ingredient list is short, the directions are simple, the pictures are flawless. Whatever could go wrong? Plenty, like:
1. Smelly beeswax
The directions call to melt coconut oil, Shea butter and beeswax together and then pour into molds. I love myself some coconut oil and Shea butter, but the beeswax I bought was off. Forget the idea of lovely, deep-honey smelling beeswax, the stuff I ordered on Amazon smells like a thick forest of semi-dead flowers.
2. A tilt-y soap mold
What could go wrong with a soap mold—this is what it’s made for! Mine came with two different shapes on one tray; lovely for variety yet awful considering the mold couldn’t balance on its own.
3. Stupid, stupid, dumb, fragile flowers
I pressed flowers a week ahead of time thinking I’d simply push them to the bottom of the mold (or top of the lotion bar) while crafting. Man, good luck with fragile-as-a-butterfly’s-eyelash pressed flowers. I had to move every flower into the mold with surgeon like precision or else every perfectly pressed petal would crumble like dust. And! If I did get them into the mold, half the time they’d rise up in the cooling process and settle hidden somewhere in the middle of bar. Le sigh.
4. Mold removal
If the uber fragrant beeswax, tilt-y soap mold and dust flowers didn’t sink my craft ship, removing the lotion bars did. I got four out successfully, the other I-refuse-to-count-failures crumbled into pieces as I gently tried to coax them out of the mold.
It’s fine… I’ll just remelt them and try again. And try again, and try agai… no, actually. I think I’m done now. Anyone need an extra pound of beeswax?