Power Walking & Peppers


You know those power walking, arm swinging, phone squawking ladies around your neighborhood sidewalks? That’s me.

I’m dying to run, but I just can’t do it yet. My brain is ready for it (boy is my brain ever ready for it), but my leg just isn’t. So I’m walking instead. I go on long walks while talking to my girlfriends on the phone about work irritations and boys. It distracts me from my limitations, rejuvenates me with intentional catch-up time and yeah may slightly annoy fellow walkers briefly, too. Oops. Healing is hard and I haven't been entirely gracious (sorry, Ben). I’m thankful to have found a little peace in power walking.

Wildflowers seen on a walk with a friend
I battled in a similar way with a stuffed pepper recipe I made last week. I was ready to pass by a recipe I found online because of a long history of stuffed pepper failure: charred peppers, raw peppers, greasy filling, you name it. But this time I gathered my patience and gave it a whirl. And you know what? It worked.

The filling is a throw-whatever-you-have-in style, which I love. My version was loaded with red onion, zucchini, sun sugar tomatoes and kale. I bet it would be easy to do a Greek or southwest spin, too. All the veggies are tossed together with a boatload of quinoa, then piled in to the peppers. I cooked mine quinoa in chicken broth—a small move which amplified the stuffing flavor astronomically.

Raw filling
Cooked filling (pre-qunioa)
I roasted my peppers for 20 minutes pre-filling, then stuffed and baked for another 10. I finished them with a little feta cheese and breadcrumbs and tossed ‘em under the broiler for a minute or two for some crunch. And past failures be damned, my peppers turned out great. So great Ben requested the same meal two nights later when we had friends over for dinner. So great they too liked it and cleaned their plates—or else they’re just polite liars.

Honestly, I’d be surprised if these peppers won’t become somewhat of a staple around this kitchen of ours. And who knew it? I almost poo-poo’ed the idea of stuffed peppers all together. And you know what else? I’m thinking my power walks I once loathed but learned to love with the addition of good conversation might stay in regular rotation, too. Even when I’m back to my limitless ways of running wildly around town again, I think I stumbled upon a new habit I’m grateful for.

Simple Stuffed Peppers
All filled, waiting for cheese

Adapted from Food Network recipe found here.

Ingredients
4 small red bell peppers
1 cup quinoa
2 cups chicken broth
1 small zucchini diced
¼ a red onion diced
1 handful cherry tomatoes cut in fourths
1 handful kale, stem removed and finely chopped
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
½ tablespoon minced garlic
salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, oregano and cilantro (if you like it)

Directions
1. Cut the tops off the bell peppers, pull out the membrane and slice them in half vertically to create small open cups. Drizzle them with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast at a 450 degree oven for 20 minutes—cut side down.
2. Cook quinoa in chicken broth to directions on package (bring 2 cups liquid to a boil, stir in quinoa and simmer, covered, for 12 minutes. Let it rest off the heat while covered for 15 minutes).
3. In a large saucepan, sauté onions, garlic and zucchini. After 2-3 minutes add the tomatoes and kale. Add the quinoa and season with herbs/spices to your liking.
4. Turn oven to broil. Stick the peppers under the broiler for 2-3 minutes until the cheese and breadcrumbs turn golden brown.

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025