Honey, Ah (Me)shuga Sugar
Just slightly above knitting, my grandma’s favorite hobby is to fret. This was only amplified when she retired about nine months ago. Once, when she was harassing me for the 12th time that week about the same old subject, I asked her if there wasn't anything else she had to concern herself over. She laughed evilly cackled and said now that she didn't have to work, she only had MORE time to concern herself fret-able topics.
Oy, the kibitzing over bupkis, Marge!
I’ve prided myself on my lack of fretting; my calm, easy going, non-dramatics—until lately. What retirement did for my grandma, full-time employment did for me. My typical day is all about routine, and not dotted with football games; deadlines for the school newspaper and Hawaiian themed parties. It leaves plenty of room for the social cortex of my brain to go idle and circle around the same old subjects like the 80-year-old Jewish woman I’m not.
It’s time to put the kibosh on this meshugaas.
I want to operate under the principals of my college social cortex: either there’s something to look forward to (like acting at a local haunted house), or there’s not; and when there’s not, you’re probably due for some calm time (like an American’s Next Top Model marathon). Embrace it.
I want to be a better friend instead of wondering if I’m good enough; I want to be okay with the plans I've made to get to where I want to be instead of focusing on the ways I’m not there; I want to get a pet bunny and take him out for runs with me without questioning if energy gummies come in carrot flavor for rabbits.
It’s time to drive out the fret and welcome the Zen. Maybe I’ll even pick up some new hobbies. Maybe Marge will re-teach me to crochet.
Oy, the kibitzing over bupkis, Marge!
I’ve prided myself on my lack of fretting; my calm, easy going, non-dramatics—until lately. What retirement did for my grandma, full-time employment did for me. My typical day is all about routine, and not dotted with football games; deadlines for the school newspaper and Hawaiian themed parties. It leaves plenty of room for the social cortex of my brain to go idle and circle around the same old subjects like the 80-year-old Jewish woman I’m not.
It’s time to put the kibosh on this meshugaas.
I want to operate under the principals of my college social cortex: either there’s something to look forward to (like acting at a local haunted house), or there’s not; and when there’s not, you’re probably due for some calm time (like an American’s Next Top Model marathon). Embrace it.
I want to be a better friend instead of wondering if I’m good enough; I want to be okay with the plans I've made to get to where I want to be instead of focusing on the ways I’m not there; I want to get a pet bunny and take him out for runs with me without questioning if energy gummies come in carrot flavor for rabbits.
It’s time to drive out the fret and welcome the Zen. Maybe I’ll even pick up some new hobbies. Maybe Marge will re-teach me to crochet.