Hair Do's and Hair Don'ts: The Double Bun
There’s not a lot I remember about middle school—aside from male classmates ruthlessly teasing my Spanish teacher about her name (hi, Mrs. Horning)—but I do remember doing my hair every morning.
Yes. Every morning.
This astonishes current me. I’m pretty sure I wake up later now than I did in middle school and still in a sleepy fit have tried to add sliced strawberries to my coffee. I don’t know how I ever trusted my morning self to hold a flat iron centimeters from my face.
My week in hair goes something like this: ponytail, messy bun, curly hair down that goes up before noon, ponytail. Muy fancy! I could try to be less lazy, but I can’twon’t ; so I’m settling for option #2: Do it up, but do it better.
I stole this style from a hairdresser gone blogger. She has stupid perfect hair to begin with, so I wasn’t sure how my bed head would translate, but it worked pretty well.
The double bun is perfect for shorter, thinner, wavier hair like mine. Apparently I was feeling fancy the particular morning I tried this because I done up and braided my bangs too. Dang. Here’s my step-by-step to do, which makes far less sense than said blogger’s video tutorial.
To do:
1. Side braid… if you want.
2. Lightly coat your hair with hairspray. It helps give it some hold.
3. Pull forward bangs and hair a section of hair that frames your face on both sides. Then section the remaining hair into two parts—lower back, and upper back.
4. Use a hair tie to make a messy bun out of the lower back section. Gently pull at pieces of hair in the bun it to open it up.
5. Take the upper back section and make a messy bun right above the lower back bun. Pull apart again.
6. Use bobby pins to spread out and connect the buns.
7. Pin back the hair framing pieces in a loose, natural way toward the buns.
Boom. You’re ready faster than my middle school class cleared the cafeteria floor when a slow song came on at after-school activity night.
Yes. Every morning.
This astonishes current me. I’m pretty sure I wake up later now than I did in middle school and still in a sleepy fit have tried to add sliced strawberries to my coffee. I don’t know how I ever trusted my morning self to hold a flat iron centimeters from my face.
My week in hair goes something like this: ponytail, messy bun, curly hair down that goes up before noon, ponytail. Muy fancy! I could try to be less lazy, but I can’t
I stole this style from a hairdresser gone blogger. She has stupid perfect hair to begin with, so I wasn’t sure how my bed head would translate, but it worked pretty well.
The double bun is perfect for shorter, thinner, wavier hair like mine. Apparently I was feeling fancy the particular morning I tried this because I done up and braided my bangs too. Dang. Here’s my step-by-step to do, which makes far less sense than said blogger’s video tutorial.
To do:
1. Side braid… if you want.
2. Lightly coat your hair with hairspray. It helps give it some hold.
3. Pull forward bangs and hair a section of hair that frames your face on both sides. Then section the remaining hair into two parts—lower back, and upper back.
4. Use a hair tie to make a messy bun out of the lower back section. Gently pull at pieces of hair in the bun it to open it up. 5. Take the upper back section and make a messy bun right above the lower back bun. Pull apart again.
6. Use bobby pins to spread out and connect the buns.
7. Pin back the hair framing pieces in a loose, natural way toward the buns.
Boom. You’re ready faster than my middle school class cleared the cafeteria floor when a slow song came on at after-school activity night.
