Brown Thumb Strikes Again

I’m a plant killer. There was the death and destruction of a basil plant of 2008, the wounding of several spider plants (of which my brother all nursed back to health), and lord even knows how many photosynthesized souls were lost in my houseplant themed serial killing streak.

I want to be able to grow and garden, I just CAN’T.

But, I pity the fool who doesn’t believe in practice. So, toward the end of May, when a conference table full of organic cherry tomato seedlings were up for adoption at work, I carefully picked two and brought them home. If only they knew.

I’m proud to say- after two and a half months, accidental exposure to a rather large storm, and a long weekend away with no water, my tomato babies are still alive!

May

July
However- do you SEE a tomato?

I’m beginning to get a little peeved. Sure it’s nice to have some foliage in the apartment, but I’ve got recipe upon recipe WAITING for juicy, ruby globes and it doesn’t even seem like my babes are toying with the idea of fruit production. Nope- why do that when they can just hang on my windowsill all day?

I am getting pretty attached to them. Watching them grow (and prosper, when watered!) has been fun. I’ll keep doing my best to expand their lifespan, and maybe give organic gardening another whirl next spring.

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025