Spring Triathlon Training Log - Weeks 3/4
I just finished week four of an eight week sprint triathlon training plan. We’re halfway, baby!
This training plan is broken into four, two week chunks. Each chunk asks more of me than before—increased mileage and speed work.
Here’s what my workouts looked like in the last two weeks:
Monday: 3 mile run, with 4 sets of 2 min fast/2 min slow
Tuesday: 45 minute bike ride, with 4 sets of 3 min fast
Wednesday: strength training
Thursday: rest day
Friday: 30 minute swim, moderate pace
Saturday: 30 minute bike ride + 15 minute run
Sunday: 55 minutes easy endurance (walk or easy bike ride)
I’m finding the first week of each new chunk totally wipes me out. The step up from the week before is so tough. I’m sore and exhausted. The second week though, while still plenty of effort, is much more manageable.
Most days I can easily find a time to get my training in, but one day this past week was comical. I needed to be home for an afternoon service appointment. With work and kid stuff that day, I didn’t have a good opportunity to get in the 45 minute bike ride I needed to. I couldn’t leave the house due to the service appointment, but couldn’t bike at home because I don’t have a stationary bike. Or wait… I do!
I haven’t used my trainer in a long time. This is a gizmo you can sit a regular bike on. It elevates the back wheel and holds the front wheel in place to turn a bike into a stationary bike. It’s been a long time since I’ve set my bike on it, but it would work.
Now… if I’m on my bike in the basement when a service guy shows up, I’m not going to hear him. So, you know what I did? Like a weird neighbor, I set up my trainer/bike on the driveway and enjoyed the sunshine while I biked in place.
I got it done, and wouldn’t you know… the service guy didn’t even show up. Neat.
But, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I love training. I found a way to get that workout done, and to give it good effort, despite everything else life was throwing at me that day. I still showed up for me. That feels amazing.
Tomorrow starts the third two-week chunk—and this one is my hardest of the whole plan. I’m a little nervous (in a good way) for it. Let’s see what it brings.
This training plan is broken into four, two week chunks. Each chunk asks more of me than before—increased mileage and speed work.
Here’s what my workouts looked like in the last two weeks:
Monday: 3 mile run, with 4 sets of 2 min fast/2 min slow
Tuesday: 45 minute bike ride, with 4 sets of 3 min fast
Wednesday: strength training
Thursday: rest day
Friday: 30 minute swim, moderate pace
Saturday: 30 minute bike ride + 15 minute run
Sunday: 55 minutes easy endurance (walk or easy bike ride)
I’m finding the first week of each new chunk totally wipes me out. The step up from the week before is so tough. I’m sore and exhausted. The second week though, while still plenty of effort, is much more manageable.
Most days I can easily find a time to get my training in, but one day this past week was comical. I needed to be home for an afternoon service appointment. With work and kid stuff that day, I didn’t have a good opportunity to get in the 45 minute bike ride I needed to. I couldn’t leave the house due to the service appointment, but couldn’t bike at home because I don’t have a stationary bike. Or wait… I do!
I haven’t used my trainer in a long time. This is a gizmo you can sit a regular bike on. It elevates the back wheel and holds the front wheel in place to turn a bike into a stationary bike. It’s been a long time since I’ve set my bike on it, but it would work.
Now… if I’m on my bike in the basement when a service guy shows up, I’m not going to hear him. So, you know what I did? Like a weird neighbor, I set up my trainer/bike on the driveway and enjoyed the sunshine while I biked in place.
I got it done, and wouldn’t you know… the service guy didn’t even show up. Neat.
But, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I love training. I found a way to get that workout done, and to give it good effort, despite everything else life was throwing at me that day. I still showed up for me. That feels amazing.
Tomorrow starts the third two-week chunk—and this one is my hardest of the whole plan. I’m a little nervous (in a good way) for it. Let’s see what it brings.