January Indoor Triathlon

Or alternatively titled: The Triathlon That Wasn’t Supposed to Be.

We were supposed to be skiing up north, unfortunately missing the first of three monthly mini indoor triathlons at the YMCA. Instead it snowed with sub 0 temps for nearly 2 weeks, making a drive and ski up north too dangerous.

Boy were we bummed to cancel our trip. BUT, a surprise weekend at home meant saying “yes” to a few things we turned down thinking we’d be out of town.

Like A’s basketball game, where he spent the entire game GLUED defending his opponent, only occasionally breaking to butterfly swing his arms while running to the opposite side of the court. Six year olds playing sports are truly the best.

Also: the indoor tri.

At A’s basketball game, my brother and I realized we could and probably should try to sign up late to compete, or we’d regret it. About 16 hours before the event we were signed up and ready to go.

Now… I’m not in shape for this. Because… Christmas cookies. The goal was to compete, have fun, no comparison to years past. And I did!

The style of this event is 15 minutes to swim as much as you can, 15 minutes to (stationary) bike, 15 to run (around the indoor track). Here’s how I finished:

Swim: 38.25 lengths
Bike: 4.2 miles
Run: 7.5 loops / 1.5 miles

Absolutely not a PR, but also it felt good! And, was good for 3rd in my age group and 8th overall for women. So, there’s where we’re at! In a few weeks is the February tri (same format) and one more (different format) at the end of March. I’ll be at both of those.

AND we will get that up north ski trip, in March, where it should be much warmer. Wins all around.

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025