7:03

I might have raced a mile last… in high school? And I don’t recall ever racing others (with care) around a track. When I run I’m more frequently a 5K girly. Last night track racing a mile, though? I flew!

C and I both ran in the Magic of the Mile event. They had several kids events. C raced, and won!! the 6 & under 200 meters. He’s a sprinter, with a fantastic kick at the end that JUST powered him past another kid at the finish line. I’m even more proud that he was apprehensive and wasn't sure he wanted to race until a moment before the start. AMAZING!

I signed up for the women’s 7:15-7:59 mile heat. This was my best guess at my finish time having never raced this before.

A track mile reminds me of swimming the 200m free so much. It’s an endurance, controlled sprint–not an all out sprint and not a cruise control effort either. I was really proud of my race–started strong, maintained, maintained, and was able to kick a bit at the finish.

I crossed third in my heat at 7:03.

YES!

There’s such a fantastic feeling in putting in a HARD effort, in surprising yourself with what you’re capable of, in doing this when you’re *gulp* approaching 40, in participating in events WITH your kids, in having them see you show up and really do it.

Cool, now I’m crying a bit.

Gimmicky name, sure, but I felt some of that magic in the mile last night.

Popular posts from this blog

The Waffles ChatGPT Taught Me to Make

Cooking Out My Kitchen

Halloween 2025