Tri del Sol Super Sprint Triathlon Race Recap
Sure, why not another tri?
About a week ago my brother was convinced to sign up for the Tri del Sol Super Sprint Tri, and thus convinced me. (It didn’t take much convincing.)
I figured the Super Sprint would be more of a fun workout vs an uber competitive, fall-down-at-the-finish-line event. Lol pre-race me.
This was my first Tri del Sol. It was a much smaller race at the YMCA’s Camp Manitou-Lin in Middleville. If I had a gripe, which I’d never, I’d add for factual reference: I woke up at 4:45 for a 8am start time. The drive there plus required a 7am lakefront meeting for an 8am race start made for a lot of sit and wait.
The swim was 200m, and man that water was clear and lovely. I was in and out in 3 & ½ minutes. It felt… harder than I wished it would? Probably because when it comes to a race in water I’ve only got one mindset and speed.
I snapped into my new transition mindset: this is meant to be fast, but if you don’t calm down and compose yourself you’ll take longer.
I pushed it on the bike. It felt good and hard, though with an incline on the way back.
I just… suffered on the run. Thought about walking the whole way. Thought about diving into the bushes and quitting the whole way. I’m not sure why that felt so off. Maybe I was tired? Maybe it was the lack of bricks and tri specific training for this race? Anyway, I trudged on and finished it.
Man was I a soggy pancake at the end. Sure, I’m usually spent after a tri, but this was half of the distance I normally do and felt harder. A good, good effort. AND, good for 3rd overall. YES, overall, men and women!
This was a fun one to pop up on the racing calendar. Hopefully I’ll be back next year.
About a week ago my brother was convinced to sign up for the Tri del Sol Super Sprint Tri, and thus convinced me. (It didn’t take much convincing.)
I figured the Super Sprint would be more of a fun workout vs an uber competitive, fall-down-at-the-finish-line event. Lol pre-race me.
This was my first Tri del Sol. It was a much smaller race at the YMCA’s Camp Manitou-Lin in Middleville. If I had a gripe, which I’d never, I’d add for factual reference: I woke up at 4:45 for a 8am start time. The drive there plus required a 7am lakefront meeting for an 8am race start made for a lot of sit and wait.
The swim was 200m, and man that water was clear and lovely. I was in and out in 3 & ½ minutes. It felt… harder than I wished it would? Probably because when it comes to a race in water I’ve only got one mindset and speed.
I snapped into my new transition mindset: this is meant to be fast, but if you don’t calm down and compose yourself you’ll take longer.
I pushed it on the bike. It felt good and hard, though with an incline on the way back.
I just… suffered on the run. Thought about walking the whole way. Thought about diving into the bushes and quitting the whole way. I’m not sure why that felt so off. Maybe I was tired? Maybe it was the lack of bricks and tri specific training for this race? Anyway, I trudged on and finished it.
Man was I a soggy pancake at the end. Sure, I’m usually spent after a tri, but this was half of the distance I normally do and felt harder. A good, good effort. AND, good for 3rd overall. YES, overall, men and women!
This was a fun one to pop up on the racing calendar. Hopefully I’ll be back next year.
